Gun pedestal for Ferret Mk1/2

Paladin

Hello all,

I have gathered quite a lot of information from the HMVF community and to all those knowledgeable posters sharing their valuable experience (particularly concerning the Ferret), I offer my sincere thanks!

The brother and I have made a deal to purchase a very nice Ferret Mk 1/2. Obviously, we're quite excited about this. I will be pleased to post pics and information on our Ferret when it arrives, but that is going to be a while yet. We are however presently considering ourselves as new members of the honorable order of Ferreteers.

We are working to master the technical jargon, stumbling along as Americans in the British world of FV701. :)

I’ve included a collage of pics to illustrate the subject of my inquiry. Apologies for the fuzziness of the pics.

For purposes of the query, I’m calling it a "pedestal" – it’s the place on the Mk1/2 you mount a gun, Bren, 1919A4, or GPMG. It isn’t settled, but we are thinking that a Browning 1919A4 will probably be the best gun for us to adorn our Ferret.

Our Ferret is presently equipped with the "smaller pedestal." We would like to purchase one of the "larger pedestals." In the many pics I’ve looked at, 1919s always seem to be on larger pedestals – I’ve seen Brens mounted on both sizes.

What is the proper name for the "pedestal" thing?

Which weapons (appropriate to Ferret) fit the respective pedestals – the smaller one and the larger one?

Where would one look to purchase a larger pedestal/mount?

I’d also appreciate a knowledgeable estimate of the cost.

Thanks in advance.

James

Ferret pedestal mounts.jpg

Hi I have the larger one on my mk 1/2 Ferret. It takes my GPMG. Since my Ferret had been sent to the Gulf round 1. I thought it better to retain the later gun. However it has a split personality because inside is the box and wall bracket for the Bren. Enjoy your time with your Ferret just had a class 1 rebuild on mine. Regards Greg

Thanks for your replies. Learning about Ferrets has been most enjoyable.

From the numerous pics, we sort of figured that the smaller unit was only for a Bren. As much as I’d love to have an L4 (or GPMG for that matter), there is an issue of availability over here. On the other hand, Browning 1919A4 LMGs are available in dummy and live options.

Does the pedestal/post/mount thing have a part no. or specific nomenclature?

If I end up contacting surplus vendors like green machine surplus or marcus glenn, it would be nice to know how they would refer to it.