Things with Wings!

M5Clive

I thought that considering Operation Bolero has a strong aviation connection, it would be nice to have a section devoted to 'things with wings' and because this isn't strictly Military vehicle's, it maybe fits in here better than in 'Other Chatter.'

Anyway here's a couple to start with courtsey of good old You Tube - And in glorious colour!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jfoxq4q4J84

Both clips filmed by Doc Furness, 92nd Bombardment Group (Heavy) Eighth Air Force at Podington, Bedfordshire.

Cds

All the terror and chaos of a mission

fighting off fighters plunging through flak

all the way there and back

only to have to finish it off with a potentially

disasterous belly landing...

Then get up and do it all again :schocked:

Bloody brave those guys :bow: :bow: :bow:

How about something B-17 related from more recent times?? Here's a couple of my own videos from the late 1990's.

We'll start out with a bit of a C**k Up. Here's B-17 'Sally B' at Flying Legends '97 making a grass runway landing. The crew were practicing a grass runway landing on their home field because they were going to Europe the following week and would need to land on grass. Unfortunately, nobody told them, and they didn't think to look at the grass runway first. Just on the threshhold, there is a slight rise in the grass where it slopes up from the concrete perimeter track. It isn't a hill, but did make a big difference to this landing.

Touching down right on the rise launched the B-17 back into the air by about 30 to 40 feet with low airspeed. You can actually see the wing tips flex!!! They made the correct recovery by applying power on the inner engines only and stretching the bounce to a hard, but controlled landing. Having been in this position with my B-17, stretching the bounce is the only option. Applying 'go around' power would have resulted in a large and possibly uncontrollable torque reaction to the left which could have had messy results.

Here's the video

The second video is from a show at North Weald, and shows 'Sally B' taking off, simulating engine fires with smoke and then a Very Short Field Landing, just like the flight manual says - Tail high, loads of weight on the wheels so the brakes can be used hard without skidding.

Steve

Wow that short landing is very impressive

Looks like a very difficult fine balancing act

I'da thought the tail would have dropped harder than that

bit like patting your head,

rubbing your tummy,

reciting the alphabet backards,

blindfold on a unicycle

Hi Joris

Been away from the PC for a few days!

Thats great news ;-) - You will be made very welcome. Are you able to bring your Dodge or will you be needing a lift in a suitable MV for the event?

We can accommodate you whatever!

Cds

In March 1999 I was lucky and privilaged enough to take a 45 minute flight aboard the Collings Foundation B-17 G in Titusville, Florida.

It was the experience of a lifetime and a feeling that I cannot easily describe. Everything fell into place just perfect on the day and my video of the flight is very much a treasured posession.

This short clip is someone elses camera efforts, but gives a good insight into what its like to fly aboard a B-17 in modern times.

Enjoy

Cds

I think it was Ray Hanna who was flying the Spit at the time. Ray, an expert at low flying, was also responsible for flying his Spitfire under the bridge in the 1988 LWT mini series, "Piece of Cake". The bridge was 100 feet span, the Spitfire spanned 36 feet. At 200mph, it was a very small target and the prop was only a couple of feet from the water under the bridge.

Steve

It was actually Maurice Hammond (owner of P-51 x2) who told me it was Mark Hanna flying in this clip, but I will bow to your greater knowledge Jessie, because I know you have been into this hobby far longer than I.

cds

Hi Joris

Been away from the PC for a few days!

Thats great news ;-) - You will be made very welcome. Are you able to bring your Dodge or will you be needing a lift in a suitable MV for the event?

We can accommodate you whatever!

Cds

Well Easyjet said they'd charge me extra to transport the Dodge so I guess it's not comming. Jack will pick us (me and the missus) up at Stansted airport, from then on.....

When are we expected and when is the party over? Then I can book the flight.

They're safer than a modern airliner!!!!

C-47's are I believe the only airplane flying without a wing spar life, that's why they just keep going and going. It's all down to the multiple spar design. All other airframes reach their specified hours fatigue life, then off to the smelter!

Steve

A little more up-to-date but take at look at this KC-135 Stratotanker.

I have these fly over our house almost daily on a direct approach into RAF Mildenhall about 20 miles away as the crow fly's, but fortunately not this low :-o :-o :-o

Cds