Scammell constructor

gas 44

Good evening,

Its not mine, but the other half of "GAS 44"

He has brought a 1955 Scammell constructor military spec. I'll be involded one way or another, at this stage just after a bit of background really.

What was this model Scammell designed/used for.

Im also trying to trace a little of its recent history. He purchased it from Newcastle. By the stickers/plaques it seems to have been up that way for a few years. It done the Normandy trip in "94" and also Arnhem. Its been to Bethune in (I think) 96/97.

The rear had had quite a crude "camper conversion" and the engine is a Leyland desiel. It starts stops and seems not too bad condition.

Does anybody have any Instruction manuel for these.

Thanks in advance

Those are nice views of the trials vehicles Wally - fitted with wooden ballast bodies and civilian cab. The funny thing is they were reputedly delivered after the orders for steel bodied gun tractors had been placed - a bit late to conduct any suitability trials you might think!!

These were the variants:

- Steel bodied narrow cabbed gun tractors (used in the main for drawbar low loader plant trailers)

- 5th wheel tractor units (for R.E. low loader semi trailers)

- Just 20 steel bodied ballast tractors for RAF (bigger cab) (also for pulling drawbar low loaders with airfield construction/repair plant)

- Narrow cabbed wooden bodied ballast tractors for the M.O.S. for delivering new tanks from the makers.

Some pictures of your truck should help identify which type it started out as.

The Scammell Constructor thread on here is worth wading through - all types are shown here.

Evening I know the truck in question, it is an ex Royal Engineers 20 ton ballast tractor, I presume it was purchased off Richard Wilson from Turboventure. At one point in its recent civilian life it belonged to a friend of mine on Oldham, Lancashire. It was built with a Meadows petrol engine but at some point had a Leyland 680 diesel fitted. The rear canopy was added when in the ownership of my friend, to provide covered accommodation during the Normandy 94 tour.

The wide front bumper is not original and was also added during its civilian life, in my opinion it is hideous and should be removed as soon as possible !

I also owned the exact same model for a number of years which had the original petrol engine fitted, when I sold it the new owner also fitted a Leyland 680.

Evening I know the truck in question, it is an ex Royal Engineers 20 ton ballast tractor, I presume it was purchased off Richard Wilson from Turboventure. At one point in its recent civilian life it belonged to a friend of mine on Oldham, Lancashire. It was built with a Meadows petrol engine but at some point had a Leyland 680 diesel fitted. The rear canopy was added when in the ownership of my friend, to provide covered accommodation during the Normandy 94 tour.

The wide front bumper is not original and was also added during its civilian life, in my opinion it is hideous and should be removed as soon as possible !

I also owned the exact same model for a number of years which had the original petrol engine fitted, when I sold it the new owner also fitted a Leyland 680.

First of all thansk to everyone for their input.

Antar if I may turn to you. Thats just the type of input I was looking for re the recent history. Also correct on the bumber !!! May I ask how you are sure this was a ballast tractor,looking at NOS listing is it possible that it could be a gun tractor ? Was the fuel tank fitted to the passanger side at a later date ?

One last but realy stupid question,how do you turn the lights on.

Thanks again to all.

Edited by gas 44