Taxation class and MOT for an AEC Matador

I have just got the V5 for my Matador from the DVLA, the details on it are:

Date of First Registration: 03 03 1960

Taxation Class: Recovery Vehicle

Revenue Weight: 8434kg Unladen

The Chassis No indicates that it was built in 1942 and I am told it was sold into civilian life in 1949.

I believe it's life history goes like this:

1942 - 1949 The RAF

1949 - 1960 Not Registered, maybe with Bus Co. on trade plates?

1960 - 1994 Registered and with Central Scottish buses then Dallas Recovery

1994 Last tax disc runs out

1994 - 2013 Beith Transport Museum, went to a shed near Leominster, I buy it.

Questions:

What do I need to do to get the Taxation Class changed to Historic so that I don't have to pay tax or go through the MOT?

Do I need to get evidence of manufacture or first use?

Does service in the RAF count as first use?

The Revenue weight seems quite high, I think my licence allows me up to 7500kg.

Can I remove the (Heavy!) crane and get the weight changed?

Is there a process for getting it officially re-weighed?

Paul

Hi Paul,

To change taxation class there is a form on the DVLA website. Fill it in and then either send off to Swansea or far more sensible option is to go along to your local DVLA office. I did mine about two years ago and very straight forward and easy.

The date for MOT exemption and to cover the pre-1960 driving exemption is done on the date of manufacture. Best bet is probably to go via the AEC owners club and they should have a dating officer. If not then you can go via the MVT. Once you can get that done you are free to drive it on your car licence and MOT exempt.

Regards

Ed

Paul

I would agree totally with Ed's comments I would definitely make the effort to go to a local centre (they will be closing for good soon), use form V112g which just needs completing for plating (MOT) exemption. I think I'm right in saying you need to have passed your driving test for the older style driving licence (pre-95 I believe) which entitles you to drive upto 7.5 ton and tow a 3.5 ton trailer to allow you to drive anything Historic as long as its not loaded or used for commercial purposes (other treads on here regarding many opinions as to what that means).

My Diamond T is set up this way so once its done you can just re-tax every year online, no cost and no plating just insurance.

Andy

• 4 weeks later...

After collecting all the relevant documentation (thanks to Wally Duggan and The British Commercial Vehicle Museum) I went to my local DVLA office in Wimbledon. I was amazed to find only one person waiting and was issued a HISTORIC tax disc within 5 minutes! The ammended V5 will come by post.

Excellent service, but the place is shutting at the end of the year which is a real shame.

Paul