Wright Whirlwind R975 9 Cyl 16 litre radial engine !!

PDonovan

I swapped my Saracan for this Engine and a SUMB back in the late 1990s.

Eventually got it running and mounted in a trailer ... very impressive.

This was only its 2nd run ... the first was just a few seconds in my garage !!

Something went wrong...

Have you got anything on the drive end to act as a flywheel? Someone told me the aero engine wouldn't run smoothly without a prop on as the prop acted like a flywheel - but your engine sounds really sweet.

p.s. sounds like a good trade!!:-D

Hi... Yes.. There is a substantial cooling fan attached to the drive end (this was used as a tank engine) The fan is almost the same diameter as the engine and acts as a flywheel.

Radial Engine outside house 16th July 1999.jpg

• 8 months later...

The engine in this thread is a Continental R975 either C1 or C4 (can't see from the photos) out of a M18. If it was from a Sherman it would have a big diamond shape frame bolted to the back (the magneto) end instead of the tubular frame that it mounts in a M18 with. The easy way to tell if it a C1 or C4 is to look at the cooling fins on the cylinders. C1 has very fine fins which are made of steel and about 5mm centres. C4 has bigger aluminium fins at about 12mm centres. There are many other differences including more provision for scavenging oil and a different supercharger on a C4. Continental built these engines under licence from Wright who concentrated on the aircraft versions but the design gradually diverged as they were developed for AFV use.

David