Carrying passengers in 15cwt or other GS trucks

fayjo56

Question

I don't want to open a can of worms but does anyone have experience or advice on carrying passengers in the rear of trucks that didnt originaly have seating in the rear body?. How do you stand legally and with insurance for instance? I have thought of making some bench seats for the MW that 'look right', what are peoples thoughts?

10 answers to this question

Bench seating is all that most others have. Regardless of the sometimes enormous seating capacity of bigger vehicles, if you check with your insurance company they will almost certainly give you a limit of (I think) 9 (or did they tell me 7? - doh!) including driver - I think this is the point at which PSV stuff kicks in.

Edited by N.O.S.

I don't want to open a can of worms but does anyone have experience or advice on carrying passengers in the rear of trucks that didnt originaly have seating in the rear body?. How do you stand legally and with insurance for instance? I have thought of making some bench seats for the MW that 'look right', what are peoples thoughts?

I came across this a few years ago with a project that I was involved in.....and you'll be entering a minefield with the average insurance company mate..>:(

.. I was going to fit the sort of seats that I've seen in the back of modern army wagons and African 'safari' vehicles ...almost like car rally seats complete with a safety harness's etc :)..

You could very easily make up some seating perhaps taken out of an old bus or something similar and rig some lap belts etc?.. but ...if you were to have a claim against you ?.

....Knowing what insurance companies are like though, unless they were 'type approved / tested / installed etc to manufacturers standards blah de blah etc ' ?... I could imagine one of those opportunity grabbing 'no win no fee / anybodies fault except the person making the claim etc' companies putting you through some sorta stress :-(

STRANGE l have been on and ended up on the LANDROVER SERIES ONE CLUB SITE and yet again the subject is disscused on there as well as others

l did say you have to do some digging meaning you have to start at the D OF T

I had a read of that LR site this morning Wally. Not much in the way of a conclusion, other than it seems to be most important that you talk with your insurer and agree between you how many seats you will be covered for under your policy.

N O S THANK YOU some time ago this came up with a customer and before doing any thing l looked it to it there was alot of discussion on this same subject even on construction forums on the legal position to carrying passengers in the back of open back trucks none gave any real help other than contacting there insurance company