Amal 276 15/16 Long neck reqiured

Enfield 42

Hello, I was wondering if anyone can help me acquire a long neck Amal 276 AC/1A or just the body (15/16 or 1" carb), the one on my WDCO is badly worn and is not fit for purpose; it spits like the dog on 'TISWAS'. I have found everyone on the forums very helpful on my sacred journey. Thanks :cool2:

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, probably not a lot of help but to give you some hope I got a new old stock one off ebay last year. Just keep looking.

I have re read your original post and I had trouble with mine running weak just off idle and was in the odd position of having the choke partially on and it spitting as if running weak. I found that be lifting the need a notch at a time I got it to the point where it runs without spitting but is just a touch rich at wide throttle openings. My mate reckons its all to do with the way modern fuel burns because it has ethanol in it.

I found that if I can find ethanol free or use the best quality 4 star ( yes I know there supposed to run on poor fuel) it runs a lot better

Regards, Centurion

Edited by Centurion

Hi, probably not a lot of help but to give you some hope I got a new old stock one off ebay last year. Just keep looking.

I have re read your original post and I had trouble with mine running weak just off idle and was in the odd position of having the choke partially on and it spitting as if running weak. I found that be lifting the need a notch at a time I got it to the point where it runs without spitting but is just a touch rich at wide throttle openings. My mate reckons its all to do with the way modern fuel burns because it has ethanol in it.

I found that if I can find ethanol free or use the best quality 4 star ( yes I know there supposed to run on poor fuel) it runs a lot better

Regards, Centurion

Carbs are a funny thing..........our 16H has a totally NOS carb fitted of the correct spec.........but no matter what I try she still blows back out the rear all over the oil tank..........she runs beautifully, starts first kick hot or cold, and pulls like a train.............the carb has been regularly cleaned out, and everything checked with nothing amiss.......

To combat the blowback, I fitted one of the screw-on "pancake" period filters that helps to a point (also seen on Enfields).....but doesn't entirely cure the problem............I even tried raising and lowering the needle but the bugger just wouldn't run in any higher or lower position...........I now just put up with the blowback as everything else is great.......:D

If an Amal has a habit of spitting back as it comes off the pilot jet try fitting a throttle valve with a lower cutaway, that way you get a richer mixture where you need it, but it does also mean that you will probably have to juggle with needle positions afterwards. A quicker dodge is to screw the pilot needle in further than the optimum setting and raise the idle to suit, but the downside to this is a greater tendency to soot up the plug if you let the bike idle for too long..

Hi Everyone, thanks for all this advice I have been trying different ways to solve this problem of spitting, I have replaced the carb body and replaced the internals with new. This has solved a lot of the problems, the only problem now is that on idle she ticks over lovely then has a bit of a miss. I am currently checking petrol, partially blocked air screw feed, I have a good friend Ray Tew helping me through this journey. I have to thank everyone for the support given from the WD circuit and on the forums, Ron, Ted, Jan and many others who have helped me source parts. I would have been still searching for parts now, but instead with all this help I took the CO to a show this weekend and also into the battle. I had lots of veterans having their pictures taken with my project, and it was a total pleasure to chat about their experiences. This is what I love about what we do, socialization at its best!! Respect to you all.:)

Hello, I was wondering if anyone can help me acquire a long neck Amal 276 AC/1A or just the body (15/16 or 1" carb), the one on my WDCO is badly worn and is not fit for purpose; it spits like the dog on 'TISWAS'. I have found everyone on the forums very helpful on my sacred journey. Thanks :cool2:

Hi there, I might still have one, Ron just about cleaned me out of them!!!!

Cheers,

Lex

ps, will have a look over the weekend.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Wellbike,

I managed to sort out carb now and she is running like a dream after playing with the engine and spares for the 276. I totally stripped top end, seated the valves correctly. I am now a happy man...next is the girder forks and the slight play in the bushes, I may have leave these a little longer till funds build up! lol Thanks for every ones help and I am more confident to pay my respect to the veterans on the 70th next year.

I had trouble with mine running weak just off idle and was in the odd position of having the choke partially on

I have a problem of mine running badly unless on partial choke, though it starts first kick. I am loathed to use choke for normal running but my mechanical experience is limited. Any idiot guides on things to try?

Thanks

Vince.

I started with the carburetor and found the manifold flange was damaged from over tightening, this could have been allowing the carburetor to suck air, because of distortion. The carburetor body needed to be replaced, and a friend I found off this site had a spare body for sale. I had to replace the jet block, because at some point someone had distorted its base by knocking it out, because as I was tightening the union nut it pinched the slide from moving freely. This sorted most of the spitting back, I then checked the timing was 3/8 before TDC and that was fine. It was annoying because on idle she would not settle evenly so I took the decision move the needle to make it run richer, as I noticed like you it would like a bit of choke. I then decided to check the valves and guides just in case air was coming through that way, I am glad I did as the inlet valve was not seated. I then seated it correctly and whilst the head was off found that I had a small amount of oil on top of the piston. I checked the taper ring on the piston and found it was upside down (the marking 'top' on the ring shows this) also making sure that the rings were not worn, by measuring them at the bottom of the barrel where there isn't wear due to the distance traveled by the piston. This is explained in the WDCO manual also, this solved my problems of spitting/idling and running through the main jet and needle jet. I also found I had an occasional backfire, and by putting a baffle from a beetle into the straight through exhaust (hidden) gave me back pressure, this has not altered performance and she runs like a dream now. I am not sure this helps, but I found this was a journey worth taking by learning about the machine I have grown to admire, and I am no mechanic. I found the help available by those in the scene/restoration invaluable, and I thank them all. :nut: