Gmc identity plate

Locolines

I have a round ally plate on the side of my GMC which was bolted on, apparently doing nothing. The light shining in a certain way upon it caught my eye, and I noticed that there once was a large number "8" painted on it in a squarish style.

it was sort of etched into the original yellow primer.

Has anyone seen anything like this before , or know what it could signify ?

After a quick photo search I'm certain this is a Norwegian marking - it was also also painted on open cabs on right side at rear behind cut-out. They used a classification of 8.

The common wartime bridge plate should read 9/7 which is 9T laden with trailer (4.5T tare + 2.5T load + 2T laden Ben Hur) / 7T laden without trailer (4.5T tare + 2.5T load).

You can find other numbers on bridge plates of restored CCKWs - 8 and 10 for example. Has anyone found evidence of anything but the 9/7 in wartime use?

Some time spent looking through a lot of published photos of GMCs (in U.S. army service) yields the following observations:

WW2:

+ Bridge Plate use restricted to England / Europe

+ Only a minority of GMCs were fitted with bridge plates.

+ Of those fitted with plates, the majority show 9/7, but there are also a few 8, 6 (D Day loading), 9 (Studebaker),10/8 (ACKWX laundry unit), 7 (fleet of shop body trucks), 10/7 (Fuel tanker).

+ Red Ball Express trucks - majority not fitted with plates, all are painted out (were they red or green? No colour photographic evidence found yet).

Post War Europe:

France 10 (and just a few 9)

Norway 8

Belgium 8

European Preservation:

Most fitted with bridge plates!

l SEE l am not the only one looking up American bridge plates after this l found a site which gave lists of vehicles and

bridge class numbers if it is correct two and half ton GMCs where class 10 I Have always said do not know much about

American trucks but love DODGES so you may not be on your own at the back of the class

I know just what you mean, Wally. It's one of those things you just assume you understand, but once you start digging you quickly realise you don't!!

the 2 1/2 T loading should give a 9/7 rating, but this quickly became meaningless once they started loading the trucks up to maintain front line resupply.

Are you looking at a British classification list?

No its one on AMERICAN WW2 VEHICLE MARKINGS there is a section on bridge classification numbers and vehicle type

may be like the british system lots of amendments over 4/5 years l have been looking at a differant subject on british

markings and came across this quote this system is well covered by the regulations but still personal are using there own ihterpretation may be the yanks had some british signwriters