Dave tee. New to trucks. Looking for a scammell pioneer for =<£2000

Hello, My names Dave. I am looking for a Diesel Scammell Pioneer around £2000 although more preferably under. There have been a few come up recently at that price and a remarkable usable for just under 3k. I have always restored old cars, Triumphs, jags, and Rovers. I work with agricultural machines, so I think I have a fair idea of what I will be dealing with. My second hobby is machine tools. Between work (heavy lifting gear) and home (lathes, mils, grinders, etc) I have good access to all the tools. One thing I don't have is great deals of disposable cash. So a more mechanically complete machine would be better. De-rusting, painting, wheeling, welding, machining, upholstering, joinery is all stuff I can do. Buying loads of new bits is not!

Whatever I end up with, no doubt, will be used - no museum pieces! :)

Thanks Dave

Hi Dave,

Good luck in your search for a Pioneer. So far in my ownership of Pioneers I have found lots of helpful owners only too willing to give advice and point me in the right direction. The price of Pioneers has been going up a lot in the last few years and I think you will struggle to find a relatively complete one for under £2k. But with some patience it is possible. The very complete one that sold recently for just under £3k was an absolute bargain and I almost bought it myself! :) I'd make sure you go for one with a relatively good/complete engine, radiator and gearbox. Good tyres are always a bonus as the cost of them adds up very quickly!

Do you have an idea as to what type of Pioneer you are after? Tank transporters tend to be the cheapest although they are the largest and slowest.

Good luck :D

Ed

Hi Dave,

Welcome to HMVF and good luck in your quest to find a Pioneer.

From my experiences to date of restoring our Pioneer i would say that finding one with a good engine is number one priority and good gearbox number two priority. Although Pioneer gearboxes can seem all good and work fine but be hiding some hidden nasties - see my resto thread, link in my signature below.

All the best, Richard