Sealing a sump with POR15?

ajmac

Although I have drilled the obvious pin holes and welded them I have found over a three week soak test at room temperature that my Flathead sump still weeps oil so there must be some small leak paths through the bottom plate. All I can think off is using some fuel tank sealer such at POR15 tank sealer. Are ther any obvious reasons why engine oil would attack this coating while it is certified against fuel and additives? Any alternate coatings out there?

Go find a structural steelwork fabricator!

they will know where they get the galvanising protection done for outdoor steelwork.

get the galvanisers to dip the sump into there vat of liquid nickle.

this will do two things

1. stop it from rusting again.

2. fill pin holes up with solid metal.

this is a pernament and quality method of repair. It also works for petrol tanks so long as the rust does not substantualy weeken the base metal.

the only issue is that the sump may distort slightly due to the heat of the hot nickle when dipped. this should not be a problem as it should pull straight when re tightened onto the block,

the only issue is that the sump may distort slightly due to the heat of the hot nickle when dipped. this should not be a problem as it should pull straight when re tightened onto the block,

Given the small screws that retain the sump and that it seals against the end main bearings and there is soldered parts in the V8 sump, this method is definitely not recommended.

If there are minor pin holes or spot welds leaking on the bottom, best thing is to solder or lead the local area of leakage.