Spartan fuel tank removal...

Sidewinder

Currently trying to remove the fuel tank from my Spartan after its spent the last 10 years with all hatches left wide open and the inspection plate removed. As a result the tank is full of mud and had a small tree growing out of it when I got the vehicle.

i know it can only come out of the vehicle roof hatch and has to be turned several times inside the vehicle to allow it to fit out of the hatch, but what exactly is the trick to getting it out?!

Currently trying to lift the right hand side of the tank (looking from the rear door forward) using bottle jacks and ratchet pullers so I can stand it up right before sliding forward to lift out of the hatch. However, it now appears to be stuck wedged at a 45 degree angle between the hull sides.. Will try and get some pictures up later.

Cheers,

James

You need to do this...

tank.jpg

I'll have to dig out the manual on the weekend but I think you need to remove the blanking plate at the door end and fit one with a lifting attachment.

If you are still coming on Saturday I'll show you my new plastic tank.

Chris

Have you left your old tank in for appearances then?

So there's no real need to try and turn it while its still inside the vehicle then, just pull straight up and out from its current position using the inspection plate.

Yeah, was still planning on coming up. Will PM you later to arrange a time.

James

Yes the original tank is still in place. We tried to remove it and clean it several years ago, but we gave up and started using jerry cans. The new tank fits in the space behind the drop down seat back on the left as you look through the back door. It's only 70litres but should be enough for a good trip out.

Chris

That sounds similar to what I'm thinking.. hoping a 70 - 90 litre tank will be more than enough.

I must admit I'm tempted to just cut the tank up inside to aid removal, but even after all this time there is still the smell of petrol coming from inside the tank and my sense of self preservation is a little too strong to convince me to try that option.

However it comes outs its going to be tight.. Hoping a 30 tonne 360 will give it the added persuasion it needs!

James

I removed the tank from my Spartan about 6 weeks ago with a good bit of help I will try and put some pictures up ,tank was full of rusty water ,and when I put 50lt of petrol in, it leaked out under drivers seat where the radio man sits and at the back door I was afraid to take a picture of this petrol everywhere .

Went and tried again tonight for a little bit managed to get the tank to move about 8" towards the rear door, it's now resting on top of the torsion bar housings so its losing the fight.. all be it slowly.

Removed the rear inspection plate and the tank is full of rusty sludge.. definitely glad I'm removing it.

Robin, if you could get some pics that would be brilliant. I can get it moving, but its a tight fit so as much info as possible to help in knowing where to lift/pull it from and how to turn it to get it to fit through the roof would be helpful.

Cheers, James

We managed (many years ago...) to get one in through the drivers compartment of our Spartan MCT, god knows how though! Gearbox an bulkheads weren't fitted at the time. A Spartan we had that went to Northern Ireland had the tank taken out using a forklift and chains through the top. I removed a Striker one a couple of yeras back; similar to Spartan but just as difficult.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally managed to get around to this yesterday. Arranged to borrow the keys to the loader, but my mate dropped out at the last minute so I decided to go ahead alone anyway.

Came out fairly easily, definitely needed two pairs of hands to guide the tank as it kept twisting inside the vehicle by the time I'd climbed back into the loader.

IMAG0498.jpg

IMAG0500.jpg

Just some of the rusty water, mud and general rubbish that fell out of the tank as it was being lifted. Definitely glad I'm not going to be connecting this to my re-con engine.

IMAG0505.jpg

One thing I did notice is the rear of the vehicle is now sitting very high, so much so that the track under the rear roadwheel is far enough off the ground that I can fit my hand under it. The vehicle is pretty much stripped and only has the gearbox in it, so I'd expect her to sit nose heavy but I imagine this will only get worse when I refit the engine? Is this normal or is it a possible sign of broken torsion bars somewhere. Using a crow bar under the final roadwheels they're not that easy to lift, but thinking about it now I suppose its more likely a front one is broken.

I'm not planning on reinstalling the original fuel tank, mainly to increase passenger space, so will board the troop compartment out with marine ply or similar. Wondering now whether once the engine has been fitted to add some paving slabs as balllast to the rear of the vehicle before fitting the new floor to level it off a little?

Cheers,

James