Saracen - where are my front Bevel box fillers?

trophy160

If I read the manual correctly, I should find the front bevel box fillers inside the engine bay and just in front of the air cleaners. Depending on whether it is an early or late vehicle (mine is Mk6) they will have a dipstick associated with them. I have copied the pages from the handbook. I have also included a photo of my engine bay and for the life of me can't see the fillers. Are they really in the engine bay?

DSCN0419 copy.jpg

Screen Shot 2013-05-26 at 18.42.23.jpg

oil filler 1.jpg

Screen Shot 2013-05-26 at 18.42.23.jpg

You dont have any bevel box fillers on the inside. For some reason, later and upgraded Saracens had the filler removed. You have to fill the bevel boxes from the outside. However, the center boxes can be accessed from inside. You remove a plate thats held on with 4 bolts. I've added a filler and dipstick to that plate so at least the hard work is reduced by a 1/3.

Andy

Here she is

with yours truly at the helm. Taken when I took possession a couple of weeks ago. Since then I have removed and rebuilt the carb as it was not running very well. Put it all back together this weekend and now it starts and runs very smoothly. Next job is to check the oil levels in the bevel boxes and hubs and then I can take it for a long awaited drive. Having gone over it pretty thoroughly today I think I'm right in saying that there are no filling tubes for any of the bevel boxes, none in the engine bay and I don't see any inside either. Still not a problem, I just need to get some oil this week.

As soon as I have all the service jobs done, I will be starting work on the body, the old paint looks like it will come off without much problem.

Here she is
with yours truly at the helm. Taken when I took possession a couple of weeks ago. Since then I have removed and rebuilt the carb as it was not running very well. Put it all back together this weekend and now it starts and runs very smoothly. Next job is to check the oil levels in the bevel boxes and hubs and then I can take it for a long awaited drive. Having gone over it pretty thoroughly today I think I'm right in saying that there are no filling tubes for any of the bevel boxes, none in the engine bay and I don't see any inside either. Still not a problem, I just need to get some oil this week.

As soon as I have all the service jobs done, I will be starting work on the body, the old paint looks like it will come off without much problem.

Great! Can you find the registration number of it?

It's 05FF14. I got its history from the tank museum last week and the documents showed that it had previously been 33MS36 - the chap at Bovington said "that was unusual" Not sure how true that is??

Hi Nic,

If the MS number had been allocated to the vehicle before it had the FF number then it might have been one destined for export to another country and then bought my the MoD for NI. That would explain it being fitted with reverse flow cooling, usually for those overseas. MS stands for Military Sales.

Thanks for that clarification Richard. As I think you know the log book says the original year of manufacture is 1955 but the record only goes back to 1972, the chap from Bovington said that records were not kept before that date, is that really the case? He said they had no history for the earlier registration.

Thanks for that clarification Richard. As I think you know the log book says the original year of manufacture is 1955 but the record only goes back to 1972, the chap from Bovington said that records were not kept before that date, is that really the case? He said they had no history for the earlier registration.

Nic,

I forgot that it had a BA number originally, there were a few FF numbers which date from around 1972 on Saracens. Now I might be wrong, but it might have been that the Saracen was disposed of, possibly to Alvis, who reworked it for another country/customer, then either the deal fell through or the MoD took them back as they were needed for NI, this could explain why it had a change of ARN.

Someone else might have a better explanation, so will be interested to hear.

In support of your export theory Richard, I did notice at the weekend that the speedo was in KPH not MPH. Would all British army vehicles have MPH or would they have an appropriate speedo for the country they were being used in?

In support of your export theory Richard, I did notice at the weekend that the speedo was in KPH not MPH. Would all British army vehicles have MPH or would they have an appropriate speedo for the country they were being used in?

Nic,

Yes I spotted that and have seen it before on a Saracen, not normal for the Army to fit KPH speedos and if you look the temp is in Cent. to.

I think Libya comes to mind as an original destination, but might be wrong.

• 2 years later...