Spare wheel of a spare ....

monty2

I seen the piccy before, but never noticed those beams. They look like planks down the side?

Rare M4A7 wooden Sherman. Faired very poorly in combat due to it's log cabin construction......

Actually, like someone else called it, those wooden planks were placed there to prevent magnetic mines from being attached to the sides of the hull. A friend of mine used to own an M4A1 that was a PTO Vet. One of the mods that was still present on it was small steel patch plates crudly welded over the road wheel spokes to prevent "fouling" by iron bars inserted by Infantry.

Matt

A friend of mine used to own an M4A1 that was a PTO Vet. One of the mods that was still present on it was small steel patch plates crudly welded over the road wheel spokes to prevent "fouling" by iron bars inserted by Infantry.

How would he know it was a PTO veteran? The wheels with holes welded up show up on many rebuilt Shermans supplied post-war to countries like the Netherlands and France. That feature alone is not enough to ID it as a PTO vet....

How would he know it was a PTO veteran? The wheels with holes welded up show up on many rebuilt Shermans supplied post-war to countries like the Netherlands and France. That feature alone is not enough to ID it as a PTO vet....

That wasn't what made it a PTO Vet. Sorry if that's the impression I gave. The Vehicle's history which he had is what made it a PTO Vet. The field depot mods (such as what had been done to the wheels) were an interesting point of conversation (as was all the small arms impacts).

Matt