Scammell Pioneer starter motor not engaging

Hello,

Just before I take the CAV starter motor on the sv2s to bits trying to find the problem... has anyone got any ideas why the motor shaft on will not pull into start position? With it all connected up and the starter button pressed a contact pulls in and looks like it is trying to move the shaft forward but doesn't quite manage it. The unit has worked a couple of times very slowly but needs sorting out.

It has been sitting unused for a long time could it simply be dry grease/oil or may it be something else?

Any advice would be very gratefully received.

Kind regards

Ryan

It is said that only two items are needed in any toolbox - duct tape and WD40 (other releasing fluids are available)

If it moves and it shouldn't - duct tape

If it doesn't move and it should - WD40

I think this is in the latter category.

My advice would be get it off, get it on the bench, get is soaked (with whatever releasing fluid you prefer) and work it manually till it remembers what it should be doing when you give it some volts. Oh and sometimes if it's an electromagnet that engages the pinion the core can get rust on it which hinders movement, so worth applying rule 2 to that too.