German panther at auction?

Billruston

On mil web theres an add of an auction in cean, just scrolling down and on the 25th page theres a pictures of an o type for sale, but in the back ground theres a panther? Well from what I can see, it docent look like a replica? Does anyone no anything about it?.

Regards bill.

It has a new home !

Rob................rnixartillery.

For a minute there Rob I thought you were moving it to North Yorkshire, would complement that 17 pdr of yours nicely..!

Tim

For a minute there Rob I thought you were moving it to North Yorkshire, would complement that 17 pdr of yours nicely..!

Tim

I think if I was EVER to get back into tracks it would be an Archer..........................very nice !

Rob...............rnixartillery

Just looked up Panther on the Interweb, I was particularly looking for postwar use and manufacture, it seems that REME went into business making them!

From Wikipedia : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panther_tank

After the war, France was able to recover enough operable vehicles and components to equip the French Army's 503e Régiment de Chars de Combat with a force of fifty Panthers. These remained in service until about 1950, by which time they had all been replaced by French-built ARL 44 heavy tanks.

In 1946, Sweden sent a delegation to France to examine surviving specimens of German military vehicles. During their visit, the delegates found a few surviving Panthers and had one shipped to Sweden for further testing and evaluation. Testing continued until 1961. The tank is currently on display in the Deutsches Panzermuseum in Munster.[122]

Last 'production' Panthers were produced at the factory by German staff just after the end of World War II under the supervision of REME (Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers) using available components. A complete Panther and a complete Jagd Panther produced this way were shipped back to Britain for post-war trials. Both vehicles are now at the Bovington Tank Museum, Dorset, with brass plates on them, explaining their history.

And also worth looking at: http://www.achtungpanzer.com/panzerkampfwagen-v-panther-sd-kfz-171.htm some amazing photos!

I suppose anybody looking to buy a German Panther needs to watch out for a British or French knock off !

Edited by simonm
typo

Didn't one of these post-war made Panthers turn up in a scrap yard in England in the 1980s and get shipped to Germany for restoration? I seem to remember something in an 'After the Battle' magazine about it.

Didn't one of these post-war made Panthers turn up in a scrap yard in England in the 1980s and get shipped to Germany for restoration? I seem to remember something in an 'After the Battle' magazine about it.

I remember that Robert, it featured in Wheels and Tracks if I remember correctly.

Pete

it was purchased by a Herr Flick (no really) and he restored it. I thinkhe still has it.

It was restored to run. Herr Flick is, sadly, one of those secretive collectors, who rarely shows his toys.

http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/showthread.php?t=548534

http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=140923&start=255

Flick's Panther is another one built under REME auspicies.