Corporal Missille Support Trucks

yorkie56

Hi all,

Does anyone know where I can obtain information on the Trucks used by The Royal Artillery for the Corporal Missile System. Were they issued with census code numbers, and did any of them make it into preservation ?

Many thanks.

A quick internet search shows there was a really nice looking Dinky model of a Corporal Missile and Launch Vehicle!

The same sort of vehicle appears in a Pathe newsreel clip of the Corporal Missile being demonstrated and it's Army number is 01 BX 76. Another vehicle has the partial number of ?? BX 24.

The usually excellent Tankograd series has a special called 'British Nuclear Artillery'.

I'm sure Firepower at Wolowich has an Honest John and launcher but I can't remember seeing a Corporal.

All in all, a very interesting subject!

Here's something for you - not sure how significant it would be.

Like all of us I keep an eye open for green stuff as I tour round. Many years back - mid 1970s maybe? I was driving to Rhu on the Clyde coast, and there were two LeTourneau Corporal Launcher trucks parked outside a shore facility - looked to have been unloaded, or maybe got ready for shipping back. Don't know if it was Royal Navy or US Navy facility though.

Once you have seen that shape you don't forget it. Never seen them before, or since, preserved or junked.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Yorky56,

Morris C8FAT is right when he says that an article appeared in Windscreen, the MVT's excellent journal. It was number 110 of Spring 2006, a very informative piece by Geoff Fletcher with pictures accessed by Bernard Venners and our very own Clive Elliott. It not only shows the Le Tourneau launchers 01BX76/77, but the myriad of American M series vehicles in the 01 BX range used, to supply, fuel and maintain these missiles. The British Militant tractor unit ( to haul the Corporal in its pod) and the AEC/FWD/Jones ten-ton crane are also shown.

Good luck,

Mike.

I bought over 450 original photos of british Vehicles 1960s /70s with notes on the back, that were taken by R.E.Smith, some for his book " British Vehicles and Army Equipment" worth finding and among them found these of the service vehicles used for the Corporal missile system.

Keith

Hi there, I worked on the Lance missile system during my time in the Royal Artillery so was interested in a book I found the other week at Newark Militaria. The books title is British Nuclear Artillery by Tankograd No 9018, there is a large section on Corporal missiles with many pictures which may be helpful to you ? If you can't find the book and want me to copy the Corporal section just PM me and I will. Hope that helps ? Dave

Many thanks. Great pictures of the support train trucks, have purchased a copy of the book "British Nuclear Artillery" and have tracked down a copy of the Windscreen Magazine, just waiting for it to arrive.