Air Sea Rescue Launch

jarrett

Thought i would share some photos of my late father,he was a nursing orderly (LAC) and from what i can make out from his service history was with 141 squadron RAF and after training served at West Raynham Norfolk and in 1945 was posted to a bomber command emergency airfield in France that then was called Lesquin(sp) but i beleive is now Lille.Photo's as follows and some of the comments written on back,crew membersx4 photo:A concerted war effort,fitter,radio op and 2 deckhands,146 at speed:sunk in Channel(Dieppe)August,the others are un written but the Launch one's all say Blyth,Northumberland,Jan 18-July20 1942.

The group photo was taken on an airfield(unknown)and as you can see in the second row they had Americans attached to them and i still have the silver dollar that one gave my father!btw he is the short one with glasses.

Mods feel free to move to aviation if needed.

Does the bottom photo state where it was taken? As it looks very like the old gun jetty at shoeburyness and in the background you can just see what looks like shoeburyness boom.

Yes that is also handwritten as Blyth,although that photo and the one above that is possibly split across 2 frames are more than likely the same boat as you can just about make out the last digit as a 3,if i find any more i will post them up.

Looks very much like Blythe according to Google maps and pictures, that pier is in the middle of the harbour where fishing vessels tend to tie up today, and beyond is some kind of barrier forming the seaward limit of the harbour.

Trevor

Interesting - HSL102 was also based at Blyth I am sure (102 is now restored and in preservation in either Gosport or Pompey) where she was during WW2 visited by the Queen Mum as it was the most successful of all the air sea resue bases. Many many years later she (the Queen Mum) rededicated HSL 102 on her re-launch.

The class of boats was built by the British Powerboat Company (or somesuch similar name) under the watchful eye of Hubert Scott-Payne, avaitor, record breaker and all round interesting guy. Another interesting name associated with the design and development of these spectacular vessels was one TE Lawrence (yep, that one.....). The vessels were built in much the same way as the best aircraft of the day and were light, seaworthy and exceptionally fast. They also proved to be very tough too.

In its heyday the 102 once travelled from Blyth to Calshott in 10 hours, and more recently the restored craft made the same journey in the same sort of timescale.

There is an excellent link here...

http://www.nationalhistoricships.org.uk/register/525/hsl-102

One of my best friends owns a similar vessel, a class 200 fast launch , which was defiantly used by T E. Lawrence.

it was originally named " Kathleen" and was requisitioned by the RASC for war used and sent to Blythe. It then was transferred to Northern Ireland ( castle archdale ) to a Sunderland / catalina base. Many people think there is only one of this class left, the one that's been restored and I believe is in a museum now, but there's on lurking in Essex too !

One of my best friends owns a similar vessel, a class 200 fast launch , which was defiantly used by T E. Lawrence.

it was originally named " Kathleen" and was requisitioned by the RASC for war used and sent to Blythe. It then was transferred to Northern Ireland ( castle archdale ) to a Sunderland / catalina base. Many people think there is only one of this class left, the one that's been restored and I believe is in a museum now, but there's on lurking in Essex too !

ST206 is the one now at the RAF Museum. The first batch of the 200s were allegedly piloted by Lawrence on their sea trials. If you know what number it was the RAF Museum holds copies of the movements cards for all of the RAF marine craft.

ST206 is the one now at the RAF Museum. The first batch of the 200s were allegedly piloted by Lawrence on their sea trials. If you know what number it was the RAF Museum holds copies of the movements cards for all of the RAF marine craft.

We think it was ST201 but were not 100 % sure or the moment