Land Rover Lightweight 24v Radiator shroud

Beno1983

Question

Hi All

Does anyone happen to know the part number for, or even have a photograph of the metal guard that located on a 24v Land Rover Lightweight. Its the part that attaches to the plastic radiator surround. I can only seem to fin the 12v part which due to the differing location of the alternator belt does not fit. I have only seen one lightweight with this part in the past so not sure if this is even a factory fitted item.

Any help on this would be very much appreciated.

7 answers to this question

IMG_2077.jpg

=================================

I need to check this on a truck , the Lightweight spares books have errors ommisions & ISTR this is one of them.

I think the FFR one is different because the belts & genny bkt. are in the way. IIRC it is just a narrow strip and in fact goes more towards the exhaust manifold.

551714 GUARD SPLASH ROTOR - is the only one listed.

----------------

Note - the petrol guard is always expensive.

http://www.johncraddockltd.co.uk/search/results.html?s=551714

http://www.johncraddockltd.co.uk/search/results.html?s=568917

IIRC you can easy modify a diesel to petrol by making a extra small bracket for fxg. screw. However - if you do this then it gives much less protection to the dizzy & HT wires from road water / fan splash.

It could be if the FFR is different - then there is no known part number so you modify a diesel one ??? or if it is just a simple strip , then you just scratch make one - I forget just now.

Edited by ruxy
amd.

Yes, it is easily made. You need a strip 2.1/8" wide x 18.1/4" long , out of 16 gauge / 1.5mm stuff & a bit extra to make 3 simple brackets to weld or pop-rivet on.

Taken a few more photographs with tape measure alongside & showing fixings - will post up later.

There should be a Rover part number for this but it does not seem to be in any Parts literature I have & never seen any listed for sale.

I just wonder whether it might be 337754?

Dunsfold have 33 of them but nobody else it seems have any.

I searched my NSNs for Guard, Splash, Rotor I removed all those that had no Rover part number & was just left with this one & the one we know about already.

Rover 551714 NSN 2540-99-802-1041

Rover 337754 NSN 2920-99-874-1823

Note the change of NSC to 2920 for non-aircraft engine electrical systems might suggest this has an FFR aspect to it.

I cannot find 337754 listed in any ISPL etc but there is a reassuring similarity to many part numbers that are very close in LtWt & S3 ISPLs.

61278 May 1975

MOD for Lightweight

ILLUSTRATED PARTS CATALOGUE.

Page B1 unlike many pages in the book does have a B1 Illustration B1 page facing.

It only states 551714 GUARD SPLASH ROTOR

LV7RU/2540-99-802-1041

==========

This page has one of the greatest errors in the book

Illustration in fact shows a "Apron" across the dumb-irons (as civilian) - that the Lightweight never had.

345669 PANEL, FRONT APRON

LV7RU/2510-99-822--2814

----------------------------------------------

There was a period going back a few years when civilian fan guards were mixed up Petrol Part No. on diesel guard & Diesel Part No. on petrol guard. Somewhere - I have a small stock of these as the franchise dealer re-ordered and did not want the returns back.

-----

Going back a few years , I came across one of these FFR fan guards on a Lightweight I purchased. It always was a 12 volt but the engine was a Defender 2286 5mb (different water pump). I think I then went on to discover that this FFR fan guard was also used on another civvy model Land Rover

Or it could have been a 569212 of similar style (for 2.6 Petrol 6 cyl.) modified to 3 securing tabs from 4 .

-------------

My June 1988 CIVILIAN catalogue still shows :-

551714 Petrol

568917 Diesel

However somthing makes me think there was a S/S on the Petrol , I would have to find the new guard shrouds that I have to check them.

The 1993 Lightweight Parts Catalogue - I am certain does not list these guards. I have the factory build parts lists covering all differences , however not for FFR's

I just wonder whether it might be 337754?

Dunsfold have 33 of them but nobody else it seems have any.

I searched my NSNs for Guard, Splash, Rotor I removed all those that had no Rover part number & was just left with this one & the one we know about already.

Rover 337754 NSN 2920-99-874-1823

Note the change of NSC to 2920 for non-aircraft engine electrical systems might suggest this has an FFR aspect to it.

I cannot find 337754 listed in any ISPL etc but there is a reassuring similarity to many part numbers that are very close in LtWt & S3 ISPLs.

=============

I have found this in Rover 10 & 11 Parts Book (plus earlier S2A marks)

Further description of 8.1/2" wide x 12" long x 20 SWG - so not that one

Cant thank you enough for the above detail! thanks for taking the time to take and post the photos. We have the standard 12v shroud so looks like some modifications are in order!

Is there anything about Lightweights that you dont know?