Could this Mk2 Ferret have been in the Gulf in 91?

Duffy

It could well have been in the Gulf - it would have been a lot quicker to ship it from Cyprus than from Germany / UK but that probably didn't come into it knowing the Army!

My 432's History Card had no mention of it being in the Gulf but it was definitely there!

Your Ferret may have a Merlin record (the computerised version of the old History Card) but you'd need to submit a Freedom of Information request to get one now.

In the absence of any documentation, I'd look for a coat of yellow paint, the Gulf War inverted V and any other markings and the best evidence of all - a photo of it in the Gulf. The Ferret website says a photo of your Ferret is available via the Tank Museum Librarian - lucky you!

Let me know if you'd like you card translated.

Hope this helps

I will have to get the Merlin report to see. I have done that with some of my other vehicles. I do not have the vehicle yet but the pictures clearly show ample desert yellow color bleeding through. I would rather get a Mk 1/2 ferret that served in the Gulf in 91 but there are many pics of Mk 2s that were there.

If anyone has or knows of a Mk1 ferret with Gulf war service for sale please contact me.

Thanks

Alan

• 1 month later...
I will have to get the Merlin report to see. I have done that with some of my other vehicles. I do not have the vehicle yet but the pictures clearly show ample desert yellow color bleeding through. I would rather get a Mk 1/2 ferret that served in the Gulf in 91 but there are many pics of Mk 2s that were there.

If anyone has or knows of a Mk1 ferret with Gulf war service for sale please contact me.

Thanks

Alan

Ok so how does one go about getting a "MERLIN" record for a vehicle???

The MOD used to provide copies of Merlin records for free but now say you have to submit a Freedom of Information (FOI) Act request - you're asking for the same thing but in a different way!

You can either write to:

CIO Access,

1st Floor, Zone N,

Main Building,

Whitehall,

London, SW1 2HB

or email:

CIO-FOI@mod.uk

Hope this helps - I'd be interested to hear how you get on or how long it takes!

The army certainly did/does do some daft things but if this ferret was with the UN force in Cyprus at the time then I doubt very much that it made it to Kuwait. The armour that did go tended to be from formed units, and the bulk of these came out of Germany. As an operation (OP GRANBY) rather than an overseas location records such as they were would be very limited indeed, and even then seeing "OP GRANBY" on the docs does not mean anything crossed the berm - it could just as well have been in reserve in UK/BAOR or else part of the work-up training.

Try putting a post on ARRSE (old and bold) with its registration number and see what comes up.

• 1 year later...