I don't know what has hit this Sherman, but for sure not a reliant Robin

monty2

Judging by the shape of the sponson plate just above the track nearest the camera, I would say that there was an internal explosion of the ammunition rather than an explosion underneath. Remember that there were probably five people inside when that happened.....

David

• Like 1

I've seen that photo somewhere else, very recently, but I can't remember where! I'll have to think about it.

As far as I am aware it is entirely genuine, caused by an internal detonation or deflagration bursting the hull.

I dont see any evidence of it being fake but could, of course, be wrong. My sense is still to go with Adrian on an explosion from under the vehicle, possibly with a secondary internal explosion. Surely if it were purely an internal detonation it would have blown the turret off?

Either way it is a salutary reminder of the perils of tank warfare.

I agree. I cant see any definite evidence of it being photoshopped. An internal explosion has blown the front of the sherman off and the tank is just resting on top of it giving it that unusual angle. It is not as if the whole thing has blown apart. Of course that wont make the poor guys who were inside it feel any better.

Nice picture Peter :D. I have the larger photo of this and from experience, working overseas with IED's, mines etc. this definitely looks like a AT mine that exploded at the front or just underneath of the Sherman, possibly setting off the internal ammunition, or worse case even possibly just a round went off inside without any external assistance (bad round etc.) remember the front drive is replaceable and is one of the weakest parts, you can see external debris scattered from the inside out, I can enlarge my photo and see smoke damage inside and do not see any entrance from the sides from a AT round. But we will never know...

Edited by lssah2025