Pic of Monty- help please

Gerry275

Hi Guys,

My wife found this pic of Monty inspecting- in amongst her late mothers photos. My wifes granfather was Arthur Payne, "short bloke in cap and white shirt on front row"

Arthur was in WW1 and worked in Reme workshops (poss Camo painting) during WW2- lived in Colchester- transfered briefly to luton then back again to Col.

Anyone have any ideas on When, where or why this event took place?

Any help appreciated.:-)

Gerry

Arthur Payne short in cap with Monty.jpg

Probably 1944 pre D-Day on his morale and production boosting tour of factories.

...Quite possibly..:)...but doesn't Monty looks a bit 'fuller figured' and rounder in the face than his wartime photos?...

... I know the stress of what came next in 1944 must have been a burden on his health and general well being but to me ...I'd guess at taken postwar maybe ?...a bit of a 'meet and greet' for some of the workers responsible for helping the war effort along maybe ?

Taking on board all that is written, if he was a 'civvy', and therefore all of them civvies(?), why are they standing to attention in ranks?

I'd say 'older' gentlemen and ex-soldiers like those fellas would have naturally 'lined up' in that manner to meet someone as 'important' as Monty....

...I know no fellas at a factory today would line up in such a manner for some old retired General, but don't forget those were very different days..

..Monty was a 'star' to most folk, the war was very recent and probably all of those fellas were ex soldiers and had 'done their bit' either in WW1 or 2.....they'd naturally show a bit of respect and want to line up in a nice and smart fashion :)

I believe it's post-WW2 too. Monty does look quite elderly, several of the workers have their medal ribbons on. What about the officers with him? There's a couple of cap badges visible & they look quite highly ranked.

I'd say 'older' gentlemen and ex-soldiers like those fellas would have naturally 'lined up' in that manner to meet someone as 'important' as Monty....

...I know no fellas at a factory today would line up in such a manner for some old retired General, but don't forget those were very different days..

..Monty was a 'star' to most folk, the war was very recent and probably all of those fellas were ex soldiers and had 'done their bit' either in WW1 or 2.....they'd naturally show a bit of respect and want to line up in a nice and smart fashion :)

Quite.

Arthur (my wifes grandad) joined up under age during ww1- both his brothers joined at the start of ww1 after losing both their parents. This pic was prized and kept by him.