ive bought a sankey but what is it??

Good evening gentlemen, I have bought a sankey trailer with a very hard to read plate. I have enquired through the land rover series 2 owners club and think it is a mk3 narrow track with a lightweight tailgate. I thought I would ask on here for confirmation. Also what is the best thing for cleaning the plate. Thanks in advance Shaun.

002.jpg

Yes it is a sankey mk3 narrow track trailer with an modified tail gate you can tell because it dosent have a jockey wheel at the front and it should have adjustable leg supports that fold upwards at the rear of the trailer and one at the front and in my view narrow tracks are overall better made than widetracks ! so well done for getting one !

The best thing you can do if there are layers of paint over the id plate then use stanley blade to gently scrape off the paint but very gently do this cant remember if the some info is stamped and some painted if the info is all stamped then use a dab of nitromors but just try carefuly find out with a stanley blade first !

btw im after a narrowtrack myself so if you know of any others id be interested .

cheers

Yes it is a sankey mk3 narrow track trailer with an modified tail gate you can tell because it dosent have a jockey wheel at the front and it should have adjustable leg supports that fold upwards at the rear of the trailer and one at the front and in my view narrow tracks are overall better made than widetracks ! so well done for getting one !

The best thing you can do if there are layers of paint over the id plate then use stanley blade to gently scrape off the paint but very gently do this cant remember if the some info is stamped and some painted if the info is all stamped then use a dab of nitromors but just try carefuly find out with a stanley blade first !

btw im after a narrowtrack myself so if you know of any others id be interested .

cheers

Thanks for that, the sleeve for the front leg has snapped but i have the foot, both the rear legs are missing. Is there a good place for spares (i am guessing ebay??). I bought it from a farm where it had been stood behind a barn unused for years, seems to be in good condition. I don't know of any others but if i see any i will let you know.

It is a FV2361 (narrow-track) IMHO manuf by either Pressed Steel Co (Scotland) or Roots Pressings Ltd , rather than Sankey Ltd. (GKN) , in any case IIRC , other than the tub & finishing off the manufacturer was Rubery Owen.

There were a similar earlier type narrow-track with differing tub details , the main difference was a early type hitch that had two positions for different tow-heights. IIRC these did not have the FV2361 designation , neither did the lubrication trailers that were very similar in basic construction.

However afaik , there were no Mk. numbers to differentiate.

--------------

The later FV2381 (wide-track) had the front jockey & different rear steadies & different dims. tub .

There were differing spec. & up-grades - that determined Mk.1 Mk.2 or Mk3 , they were all made with a tail-gate , Mk.1 would have a hitch similar to a narrow-track & drum brakes - disc brakes came later (only a Mk. 3 has discs).

Originals were not Mk. 1 , this was retrospective when the Mk.2 came about.

Edited by ruxy
spelin

Looks similar to mine, where should the vin plate be tho? Its either burried under gunk or been removed.

Good find tho, they clean up really well. Spent a day on mine, looks so much better for it.

The contract and service number plate should be on the side of the chassis on the A frame next to the handbrake assembly.

doug

No , it will be on the UK (nearside) of the chassis UNDER the tub. With luck the plate (abt. 1.1/4" x 5") will be heavily covered in underseal , take care not to damage the anodised finish & nomenclature. Unfortunately - these plates are aluminium , so if not protected by underseal - they often corrode away to white dust.

IMG_1223-1.jpg

IMG_1224.jpg

IMG_1232.jpg

Has to look like one of these ,,

LoL , the Pressed Steel one from mid-1960's - it is in fact branded as Mk.3 Yet the much later GB Sankey (1975) that has a few detail differences - is not. I had forgotten about this : uncertain quite what the difference is with a Mk.1 & Mk.2 - unless these go back to the 10 cwt models ??

Edited by ruxy
amd.