John Wood M3A4 utility hand cart

I bought this hand cart in the States. It's a 1943 John Wood M3A4 utility hand cart and it looks fantastic. No sign of rust and all the original nut and bolts holding everything together. I had considered sand blasting it but on inspection all it needs is paint stripping, a quick sanding to get it smooth and it'll be ready for painting.

The rims are in great condition as is the original tyres with no cracking visible. There are extra holes which will be filled by mig welder.

Here's a bundle of shots of it. I'll keep updating the thread when progress is made.

DSCF0023.jpg

DSCF0024.jpg

DSCF0025.jpg

DSCF0026.jpg

DSCF0027.jpg

DSCF0029.jpg

DSCF0030.jpg

DSCF0031.jpg

DSCF0032.jpg

DSCF0033.jpg

DSCF0034.jpg

DSCF0035.jpg

DSCF0036.jpg

DSCF0037.jpg

Cheers,

Neil.

Restoration begins. It's like it's been un-touched for nearly 70 years. All the original hardware is present and the original paint. The extra holes were filled in by a Mig welder.

DSC_1545a_zps7ce41ec4.jpg

DSC_1547a_zpsa3c74cae.jpg

DSC_1549a_zps6bb74659.jpg

DSC_1550a_zpsacb21e5a.jpg

DSC_1555a_zpsf4d05784.jpg

DSC_1557a_zps79e890fa.jpg

DSC_1558a_zps36479b87.jpg

Complete! I'm very pleased with how it's turned out.

One thing I noticed whilst stripping the cart was a red ring painted around the two grease nipples of the axles. Considering we were uncovering a lot of original paint, I've assumed the red rings was also original and have re-applied them.

DSCF0103a_zpsbc17d059.jpg

DSCF0101a_zps0c607ef7.jpg

DSCF0100a_zps33287285.jpg

Hopefully I can get an A5 drop container soon so I can recreate this scene.

101ABHandcart.jpg

Cheers,

Neil.

That's probably the nicest original I've seen, and having a good set of original tyres too.

One hint you may, or may not, have considered. These tyres are antiques and I assume that leaving them out in sunlight ( such as we get in this country ) would kill them fairly quickly.

I think your purchase has spent the majority of its life inside away from sunlight, you might want to store it inside too and just expose it to the UV at shows.

Nice thing, tho'