question about exhaust silencer attachment bedford MW

Danny P

According to the Bedford authorised service parts list the exhaust silencer is attached to the chassis support bracket using the following fasteners:

• bolt, special, silencer to support bracket

• washer steel, 5/16" small flat, silencer to support bracket bolt

• washer, thackray (double spring washer), 7/16" silencer to support bracket bolt

• nut, hex. slotted, 5/16"-24, silencer to support bracket bolt

• distance piece, silencer to support bracket

Questions:

- What kind of bolt is used? What is special about it?

- Is it a brass bolt and brass nut?

- Where is the distance piece for? What are the dimensions and how is it attached?

According to the Bedford authorised service parts list the exhaust silencer is attached to the chassis support bracket using the following fasteners:

• bolt, special, silencer to support bracket

• washer steel, 5/16" small flat, silencer to support bracket bolt

• washer, thackray (double spring washer), 7/16" silencer to support bracket bolt

• nut, hex. slotted, 5/16"-24, silencer to support bracket bolt

• distance piece, silencer to support bracket

Questions:

- What kind of bolt is used? What is special about it?

- Is it a brass bolt and brass nut?

- Where is the distance piece for? What are the dimensions and how is it attached?

If it is like my Ford special bolts, it means it has a drilled end for the split pin. The Slotted nut is the give-away.

the distance peice is to get the correct tension on the thackery washer this allows the silencer to twist in relation to the chassis mounted bracket.

I don't get it! The bolt plus flat washer is going through the bracket, then the thackery washer is going over the bolt, then the silencer en finally the lock washer with the nut. I assume the distance piece is a hollow tube which is also placed over the bolt? I can not think of a construction to get a tension with the thackery washer. It must be easy, but maybe I don't have my day today! Can you or someone explain please?

Hello Danny,

I tried to get these parts from Norman aishe, But he didn't have any, and so far i am yet to see them on a bedford.

The way i have done it on my bedford is. I got a new front pipe from John Mortor. He said he had copied them from original parts. fitted the front pipe, them fitted a NOS silencer to it, them measured the gap between the bracket on the chassis and the one on the exhaust. It was around 3 inches, i made up a tube this length, and bolted it together with a castle nut. I left out the thackery washer as i didn't have one, but in light of the comment above i think i'll try and find one. Like yourself i'm a bit confused what the thackery washer will do, But it makes sense it need to flex.

John

Hello Danny,

I tried to get these parts from Norman aishe, But he didn't have any, and so far i am yet to see them on a bedford.

The way i have done it on my bedford is. I got a new front pipe from John Mortor. He said he had copied them from original parts. fitted the front pipe, them fitted a NOS silencer to it, them measured the gap between the bracket on the chassis and the one on the exhaust. It was around 3 inches, i made up a tube this length, and bolted it together with a castle nut. I left out the thackery washer as i didn't have one, but in light of the comment above i think i'll try and find one. Like yourself i'm a bit confused what the thackery washer will do, But it makes sense it need to flex.

John

Thanks John,

I found the following in a 1942 dated driver's handbook quoted:

The silencer is secured to the chassis frame by a single bracket. A spring washer is fitted between the nut and bracket. Use 7/16 SAE and 1/2 A/F open end spanners, but do not tighten unless loose.

There's also a figure in the handbook demonstrating the bolt and nut attachment of the silencer to the chassis bracket and it looks like the double spring washer is between the two brackets. So the bracket quoted must be the chassis bracket. But no distance piece! Furthermore the distance between the two brackets in the figure would then be maximum the size of the thackerey washer which is a flex of maybe half an inch. The distance piece stays a mysterie to me!