Bought a new truck...M35A2

paul_bish

First thing you need to do is make sure the hood (bonnet?) has the safety latch to keep it open. Mine did not.. that hood can catch the weakest of breeze and slam shut on you. And no matter what you are told... if you have the plastic vacuum wipers DO NOT squirt any lube into them. They need to be DRY to run.

You may not know it, but you will spend an amazing amount of time under the hood. There are hose clamps to keep tight, filters to change, fluids to check, ground wires to keep clean.

It looks like you have an M35A2C drop side bed. If you have the proper quick disconnect bow corners you will end up using that feature a lot. It really comes in handy if you have cargo.

Enjoy the truck! When you top off the fuel tank let us know what it costs :D

First thing you need to do is make sure the hood (bonnet?) has the safety latch to keep it open. Mine did not.. that hood can catch the weakest of breeze and slam shut on you. And no matter what you are told... if you have the plastic vacuum wipers DO NOT squirt any lube into them. They need to be DRY to run.

You may not know it, but you will spend an amazing amount of time under the hood. There are hose clamps to keep tight, filters to change, fluids to check, ground wires to keep clean.

It looks like you have an M35A2C drop side bed. If you have the proper quick disconnect bow corners you will end up using that feature a lot. It really comes in handy if you have cargo.

Enjoy the truck! When you top off the fuel tank let us know what it costs :D

thanks for the advice and I really wouldn't want that bonnet on my head!!!!

Its not actually a dropside truck, those are fake hinges done for the film Green Zone. I will be replacing with a non buggered about body.

If you haven't already, go here: http://www.jatonkam35s.com/jatonkaM35sTMdownloadpage.htm

and download the TM's. You could also buy all the TM's on DVD off ebay, but they are all the same.

You should get them all because the early TMs are much more useful than the later ones.

Biggest TM tip I can give you is that of the TM number ends in a 'P' then its the parts manual.

If you haven't already, go here: http://www.jatonkam35s.com/jatonkaM35sTMdownloadpage.htm

and download the TM's. You could also buy all the TM's on DVD off ebay, but they are all the same.

You should get them all because the early TMs are much more useful than the later ones.

Biggest TM tip I can give you is that of the TM number ends in a 'P' then its the parts manual.

Good link. I have downloaded most of the TMs, for the REO and my Dodge/Trailer. Very handy things indeed!

It's carrying capacity on highway is actually 5 tons, the 2.5 tons is cross country rating.

Good luck to the guy that has to drive an M35 with 10,000lbs of cargo. The M35 is anemic empty.

CCKWs have been carrying 5 tons since the War Dept allowed it mid-war. You must increase the tire pressure 1 psi per additional 1,000lbs carried. IIRC the M35 does not have this stipulation... but it does have larger tires to begin with.

You should have heard them howl when I told them that :D