Bought a new truck...M35A2

paul_bish

after putting a surprise low bid on eBay I managed to win this.

reo_1.jpg

reo_2.jpg

http://www.modernforces.com/REO_M35.htm

It needs some work but was cheap.

I do need recommendations on a trasport company who can take the truck from Rickmansworth to Rex Wards in Berks, as the brakes need work. It starts, goes but doesn't stop!

Any help or leads welcome

/p

hi the company i work for would charge £250 plus vat from ricky to rex gives you a figure to work with. the drop side hinges on the truck are they made out of wood ? as on green zone we had two m35 which we had to make look the same one was a non drop side and one a drop side which they brought from a freind in watford.i was told a person in ricky got all the humvees and the two m35s so i am presuming this is one.

hi the company i work for would charge £250 plus vat from ricky to rex gives you a figure to work with. the drop side hinges on the truck are they made out of wood ? as on green zone we had two m35 which we had to make look the same one was a non drop side and one a drop side which they brought from a freind in watford.i was told a person in ricky got all the humvees and the two m35s so i am presuming this is one.

£250 sounds good to me. I might have a slight change in plan in terms of destination but thats a good ballpark but will get back to you (that plus VAT?)

The sides are metal, well pretty sure they are... the person I bought from does movie horse carriage rental and stunts (Warhorse etc) and they did have 2 M35s and hummers so must be the same ones. Its been stood outside for a while so body floor and cab door frames need work but nothing major or structural.

more pics here

http://www.modernforces.com/REO_M35.htm

nice truck any idea of age ? Is it registerd , be worth changing all the brake lines , check all the slave cylinders and overhaul/replace the master cylinder .

I have used these guys in

http://www.us-army-military-shop.de/Truck-M35-25-TON:::160.html?XTCsid=2120911004679ae2ff813338422f6f98

They have lots in stock and only just over then pond

Cheers

bob

Hi from the pictures it looks like the one we put fake drop side hinges on this one had under cab rot but was the main m35 used as in had a slightly bigger steering wheel so was less effort for the stunt man to steer! This came from a yard in Belgium with a couple of humvees trucked to Spain where we painted it and matched it to the other one filmed in Spain then got trucked down to morocco so there is a small bit of its history:-)

I am not sure of the age and its not registered, just kicked off that process. If it s a real dropside one it puts it around 1970 plus but if its a faked one it coud be earlier.

The first job will be transporting to a garage to have the brakes all done so they are nice and safe, best not short change myself there. Thanks for the link, will save on shipping form the US

nice truck any idea of age ? Is it registerd , be worth changing all the brake lines , check all the slave cylinders and overhaul/replace the master cylinder .

I have used these guys in

http://www.us-army-military-shop.de/Truck-M35-25-TON:::160.html?XTCsid=2120911004679ae2ff813338422f6f98

They have lots in stock and only just over then pond

Cheers

bob

Hi from the pictures it looks like the one we put fake drop side hinges on this one had under cab rot but was the main m35 used as in had a slightly bigger steering wheel so was less effort for the stunt man to steer! This came from a yard in Belgium with a couple of humvees trucked to Spain where we painted it and matched it to the other one filmed in Spain then got trucked down to morocco so there is a small bit of its history:-)

The more I look at the pictures I think the hinges are fake, they look wrong somehow! And I did think the steering wheel was large, it filled the cab and made it smaller inside than my Dodge! still not what you would call a nimble driver though :-D

Nice to have some history though.

A couple of questions;

Do you have any pictures of it on set?

Do you know what the sand coloured overspray paint is, im thinking if its film set paint it might scrub off to give a better base for painting...could be wishful thinking...

Easiest way to tell if you have an M35A2C bed (drop side) is to look for the latches in the corners just under the top rail of the stake sides. No latches, or if they look 'home made' then its not original.

I liked my M35.. but really way to much maintenance to be useful. Steering boots constantly ripping, axle seals constantly leaking (most brake systems are good, but the axle seals leak.. looks like a leaking brake cylinder by its not) and NDTs are horrible tires. Woefully under powered (a 5 ton is really needed if you want to haul) and noisy/slow.

Its a great toy. Just a money pit.

Easiest way to tell if you have an M35A2C bed (drop side) is to look for the latches in the corners just under the top rail of the stake sides. No latches, or if they look 'home made' then its not original.

I liked my M35.. but really way to much maintenance to be useful. Steering boots constantly ripping, axle seals constantly leaking (most brake systems are good, but the axle seals leak.. looks like a leaking brake cylinder by its not) and NDTs are horrible tires. Woefully under powered (a 5 ton is really needed if you want to haul) and noisy/slow.

Its a great toy. Just a money pit.

Good tip, will take a look when I go and collect the vehicle

Good looking truck you have got there and for a good price, from what i have read in the technical manuals for M-series trucks they have got a small vent cap on top of each axle that needs to be kept clear or pressure can build up in the axles and contribute to seal failure.

There should also be a serial number stamped on the frame rail behind one of the front wheels probably under many layers of paint (sorry can't remember which side) that may help you date the truck

Hope this helps

A visit to http://www.steelsoldiers.com will get you tons of good advice.. they are the M35 guru's.

The axle vent cap is a continual problem, but also the cork seal needed to seal the outer spindle keyway is usually missing or not sealing properly. Most will use RTV and not the cork. New seals are $60+ and kinda hard to find... but luckily most seals never really fail, just leak. Clean, inspect, reinstall.

Unless you plan to go fording, most people will use a pipe nipple and a cap and just drill a hole in it to vent. You can pack with felt, but not needed.

Don't do anything to the truck till you change the fuel filters and look into the fuel tank for sludge.

Great truck.. lots of fun... but slow and loud. Hope there are not a lot of hills in your area. One thing M35A2's don't do well is go up hills.

A visit to www.steelsoldiers.com will get you tons of good advice.. they are the M35 guru's.

The axle vent cap is a continual problem, but also the cork seal needed to seal the outer spindle keyway is usually missing or not sealing properly. Most will use RTV and not the cork. New seals are $60+ and kinda hard to find... but luckily most seals never really fail, just leak. Clean, inspect, reinstall.

Unless you plan to go fording, most people will use a pipe nipple and a cap and just drill a hole in it to vent. You can pack with felt, but not needed.

Don't do anything to the truck till you change the fuel filters and look into the fuel tank for sludge.

Great truck.. lots of fun... but slow and loud. Hope there are not a lot of hills in your area. One thing M35A2's don't do well is go up hills.

This is all great advice and will be followed. I am on Steel Soldiers and have found it very helpful, though a lot of folks obsessed with "bobbing" trucks. My Dodge M37 is also very slow up hills, the one to Detling showground almost killed me...

One area that was very rusty (well non existent in places) was the windshield surround, the bit that folds out. I ordered a pair from here on Monday evening this week and it arrived yesterday!!!

http://www.eriksmilitarysurplus.com/

I have it booked in for a full brake service, filters, oil etc and will get the fuel tank checked as well. Rex Ward is sorting this work via some of his contacts. Can't think of a more helpful person!

Edited by paul_bish

Eriks Military Surplus is one of the FEW, very FEW places that has the proper electrical connectors at a reasonable price.. the kit with 10 each male/female is a must have... you will run into electrical issues (bad grounds mostly) but also bad connectors.

Don't buy bulbs from a vendor... they are much to high. Any online lighting place will have the proper 24V bulbs for the directional and brakes. I think they are only rated for 100hrs. I bought in packs of 12 for less then $0.50 each.

Again, steelsoldiers.com is where you want to be :)

Eriks Military Surplus is one of the FEW, very FEW places that has the proper electrical connectors at a reasonable price.. the kit with 10 each male/female is a must have... you will run into electrical issues (bad grounds mostly) but also bad connectors.

Don't buy bulbs from a vendor... they are much to high. Any online lighting place will have the proper 24V bulbs for the directional and brakes. I think they are only rated for 100hrs. I bought in packs of 12 for less then $0.50 each.

Again, steelsoldiers.com is where you want to be :)

Going to order that kit right now! so far all electrics work (touch wood etc)

Just on Steel Soldiers now looking at painting tips. Paint is ordered, the same as my Dodge which is matched to some NOS parts I have sourced :-D

I have to agree with Deadline with regard to the oil seals and gaiters on the front axle, I don't understand how they came up with such an awful design. It's predecessor, the CCKW was a far better vehicle, much better designed. Th M35 I owned had it's build date stamped into the LH chassis frame behind the front wheel but I have no idea if this apples to all M35's.

I have to agree with Deadline with regard to the oil seals and gaiters on the front axle, I don't understand how they came up with such an awful design. It's predecessor, the CCKW was a far better vehicle, much better designed. Th M35 I owned had it's build date stamped into the LH chassis frame behind the front wheel but I have no idea if this apples to all M35's.

Will check there for a date when I go up on the collection date

Bold statement since the M35 has been in production for over 50 years , I have driven both and the much prefer M35 for ride , economy ,power , refinement , brakes . There are some things that need attention now and again but this can be said for the CCkW also

rgds

bob

Bold statement since the M35 has been in production for over 50 years , I have driven both and the much prefer M35 for ride , economy ,power , refinement , brakes . There are some things that need attention now and again but this can be said for the CCkW also

rgds

bob

I think you'll find the M35 may have been in service for around 50 years during which time it was massively reworked but it had a production run of between 20 and 30 years for a total in the region of 15,000 vehicles. As far as faults go I would agree that the CCKW wasn't perfect but that vehicle hasn't been built yet by anybody, in my opinion it just didn't have the basic design faults that the M35 did.

CCKW->M135->M211->M35A1->M35A2

There was a lot of tinkering between the two. I think the M211 and M135 were unpopular due to the auto trans and transfer cases not really working well.

If you read up on the M35 in Vietnam for a while they were notoriously unreliable trucks. Head gaskets, cylinders blowing out... all sorts or engine problems due to the multifuel design. The M35 was the first tactical 2.5 ton truck to get a diesel... up till then they were all gasoline engines.

Having owned and driven both I can say the M35A2 was a small step ahead of the CCKW, and even a less step forward from the other M series 2.5 ton trucks. They had the same speeds, the same capacity, the same fuel load.. the M35 is much larger than the CCKW, if you think the GMC 270 is a big motor seeing that HUGE Continental 6 cylinder diesel on a stand is easily twice the size.... hits a freaking HUGE motor.