Battered "77 Pattern" DPM Para Smock.

Scotch Harry

Theres something about a good well used item like this , especially a rarer smock as this one. A nice example thats seen some life. Most of the kit I collect is used , some well used like your Para smock , I only have a couple of fairly, almost new items.

Theres something about a good well used item like this , especially a rarer smock as this one. A nice example thats seen some life. Most of the kit I collect is used , some well used like your Para smock , I only have a couple of fairly, almost new items.

Thanks Boots,not to everybodys cup of tea but I like it.

Some people only collect nos,unissued items etc -thats not the luxury I have Im afraid:cry::cry::cry:

Zip replaced,sleeves lengthened,the smock has been well abused,just wish I knew a little about its history.

Anybody please know when the subdued wings were first issued?

A nice early Para Smock sold for £63 on Ebay earlier today.

Thanks Boots,not to everybodys cup of tea but I like it.

Some people only collect nos,unissued items etc -thats not the luxury I have Im afraid:cry::cry::cry:

Zip replaced,sleeves lengthened,the smock has been well abused,just wish I knew a little about its history.

Anybody please know when the subdued wings were first issued?

A nice early Para Smock sold for £63 on Ebay earlier today.

I like new kit, tho mainly for the book, but I have a fair few well-used items tucked away for the same reasons.......a bit of history and I just like 'em that way !!!! Tell's a story.........from memory, many para troops favoured well-worn smocks for the "ally" look.......nothing at all wrong with that.......

Subdued insignia began to appear for NI around the late-70s, but it was either "home done" or privately acquired......it was much the same up to the late-1980s............after that, I think the issue situation changed.......tho not universally.....

I like new kit, tho mainly for the book, but I have a fair few well-used items tucked away for the same reasons.......a bit of history and I just like 'em that way !!!! Tell's a story.........from memory, many para troops favoured well-worn smocks for the "ally" look.......nothing at all wrong with that.......

Subdued insignia began to appear for NI around the late-70s, but it was either "home done" or privately acquired......it was much the same up to the late-1980s............after that, I think the issue situation changed.......tho not universally.....

Thanks for the info RE the wings.

As for whats written inside all I could find remotely connected to 8 BTY was Royal Artillery who have an 8 Battery(ALMA) part of 29 Commando.

• 2 weeks later...

Subdued wings never really caught on until mid to late 80s although Marines were a bit earlier if I remember right. Nice smock, got 2 brand new here, unworn and unused and one worn/used similar condition (1 new still in bag) will probably put them onto Fleabay as DPM no longer vogue now we are onto MTP lol.