BV202 - request for source of background information

Steve 82

Pardon me for wanting to rain on your aspirations of a BV 202 but I have been watching the goings on in a neighbouring collection that has one.

If I was you I would learn how to weld really well and hope you have a covered storage facility for your treasure once it is sorted.

The rear of the 202 cabs are a delightful spot for the old tinworm to make its nest.

Be very careful of the integrity of the front car before trying to swim it.

They are a good machine if maintained but somewhat gutless compared to the later incarnation the Bv 206.

R

User Handbook - Army Code No. 22166 1967

Maintenance Schedule - Army Code No. 60404 July 1981

Asset Code 1260-2976 CES - Army Code No. 31100 Nov. 1972

Asset Code 1260-5976 CES - Army Code No. 34172 Nov. 1972

Asset Code 1260-6976 CES - Army Code No. 31100 Nov. 1972

Asset Code 1260-4942 CES - Army Code No. 31223 Jan. 1979

Asset Code 1260-4942 User Handbook Army Code No. 22298

EMER TRACKED VEHICLES C 300-309

/1 Cargo/personnel

/2 Emergency Ambulance

/3 2 Stretcher Ambulance

/4 3 Stretcher Ambulance

/5 Command post

/6 Wombat role

/7 Mortar detachment role

/8 Fitter role

/9 Recovery

/10 FFR role

/11 GPMG mounting kit

/12 Skis for 105 mm pack Howitzer & 3/4 Ton Trailer Fv2361

/13 Infra-red filter assembly

Gents,

Thanks for your responses.

Robin - appreciate your candour - I am becoming increasingly aware of the potential for rot with these vehicles and will make doubly sure before acquiring anything (except for mechanical spares). Agreed on the storage also - I always store my vehicles under-cover.

Clive - thanks for that comprehensive list. Do you have any thoughts on sources for these books ?

Regards

Steve

Steve there is an original UHB here:

http://www.ekmpowershop5.com/ekmps/shops/greenmachines/bv202e-full-tracked-articulated-carrier-user-handbook-2192-p.asp

He has a copy for about £5 less & there is also a copy of a RM training manual if you browse his site.

As for EMERs your best hope would be the REME Museum. It would be best to contact them to establish if they have the EMER TRACKED VEHICLES C 300-309 series then pay them a visit. They don't provide a postal or email service so you have to go there. Unfortunately some of the EMER collection has undergone an extraordinary re-arrangement of contents within their respective file/binders rendering it quite difficult to find what should be in a particular file. Although the EMERs in the Corps Archive library still retains the logical structure & layout of documents as it was originally conceived.

Steve,

the basic thing is to understand the beast you are working with.

One of the major improvements in track system design is the fact that the 206 has solid road wheels.

The 202 relies on air pressure to be part of maintaining track tension, blow a tyre and the chance of shedding a track is higher the more you loose or dependant on where in the line up it goes. Some owners have gone the big dollar route of having the tyres foam filled and getting rid of that problem.

Even the 206 is not devoid of it's own track issues, of which I am only well too aware.

Change 40 roadwheels on one vehicle and repack all the bearings and you will learn to stay out of water.

On the whole the 202 was a valiant effort for a first attempt and is a supportable machine but dont ever get in a 206 as you will not want to go back to the 202.

I would liken the experience as going from a series one Land Rover to a plushie Rangie or newer and not wanting to go back.

I hope the one you are buying is better than this one:-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Abandoned_Volvo_BM_Bv.202_-_geograph.org.uk_-_706025.jpg

R