Triumph 3sw Knee Pads

jenkinov

A Question in a few parts

1 Can you still get WW2 Pattern Knee Pads for A Triumph 3sw/HW

2 How do you remove them.

3 How do you refit them..

I have seen lots of tanks without the Knee Pads ..My tank has some that are in good condition for their age but I was interested to see if i could easily remove them to repair the tank ...?

Jenkinov

Knee pads fitted to most WD 3SW's.......rubber shortages saw the deletion of knee pads (and similar fittings) around 1942-43 although they continued to be fitted where stocks remained....the first couple of 3HW contracts also had them fitted.....3SW production ended around 41, though may have trickled on into 42...........the new Triumph factory at Meriden opened in April 42. 3SW production after the Coventry blitz of late-1940 being completed in temporary premises near Warwick....production at Meriden was solely of the 3HW up to the end of the war......

Most knee-grip rubbers are mounted onto a separate steel plate, screwed onto the tank...........if you can, retain the old ones....if not, try "Jim Hunter Engineering" for the best quality repro's of the rubbers........

As an addition, most early 3SW tanks have a single metal "Triumph" badge screwed to the tank top.......if missing, but your tank is original, see if the screw holes are still there (probably hidden under the paint)..........:-D

Edited by wdbikemad

Thanks ..Appreciate youy Summary ...How do I get to the Screws ..?

Jenkinov

The pad should pull off (though if original it may have hardened with age)......though you may have to prise it off......

Once off, the plate will be revealed, complete with the mounting screws.........

Here is the single steel badge that Steve refers too. 3HW's had simple transfers each side. The contact for the 'Rubber Man' is jeffalanhunter@aol.com (no phone number) Make sure you order the WD type as the pre war Triumphs had a sort of pommel to tuck behind your knee. The modern made grips are nice and soft which makes it easier to get the lip over the steel plate. Ron

3SW 009.jpg

3SW 012.jpg

A Question in a few parts

1 Can you still get WW2 Pattern Knee Pads for A Triumph 3sw/HW

2 How do you remove them.

3 How do you refit them..

I have seen lots of tanks without the Knee Pads ..My tank has some that are in good condition for their age but I was interested to see if i could easily remove them to repair the tank ...?

Jenkinov

Has anyone got photos of the bracket that's screwed to the tank that the knee pads fit over? Like Rons bike mine is one that probably didn't have em fitted but I would be interested to see how it was done so its an option to fit them later.

Andy