What tyre pressures for Bedford OY?

unionjack

This book B.453/3 was issued by Vauxhall Motors in Aug 1941, covering MW, OX, OY & QL.

It explains that within one month of the outbreak of war there was one manual per model but apparently they focussed more on driving & general care. This combined Driver's Handbook gave more specific detail for each model, which to me seems a bit surprising.

My reprint is of T.S. 162/8 March 1944. For OYC-OYD.

Interestingly at the top it is marked "Book No. 100/BD7A" and "Air Publication No. 2o75A. Vol. 1, Part 1" I wonder if these are the seperate terms for Army and RAF?

TS sometimes appears on the lower left corner on MoS initiated publications, but I've not discovered its significance.

"Book No. 100/BD7A" follows no pattern that I am familiar with & yes the AP is the just RAF's own cataloguing of the same book.

Is there an imprint at the last entry of the back page? In theory at least it should have an indication of printer (to comply with the Printers, Newspapers, Reading Rooms (Repeal) Act 1869)

Clive,

I've just listed a Fordson WOT 2-H Drivers Handbook in the classified sales section. This had the code Book No 100/FD 5A, Air Publication No. 2687 Vol 3 Part 1 It's a 1944 edition. I've never come across an index for these either.

Cheers

Paul

Sounds like BD is for Bedford and FD for Ford. Maybe there was also AN, MS etc. too.

Yes I'm sure you are right.

As it happens BD, FD & AN are used in VAOS Section LV7 not MS though, ML is used for Morriss. (BTW These abbreviations differ from those used in LV6)

Yes I'm sure you are right.

As it happens BD, FD & AN are used in VAOS Section LV7 not MS though, ML is used for Morriss. (BTW These abbreviations differ from those used in LV6)

Hi Clive,

To add a few more of these numbers from manuals, 100/FW1B was a maintenance manual for an AEC Matador, FW coming from FWD, a company that developed the 4x4 design used on the Mat. FW was used as the VAOS code for AEC right though until recent times. Others seen on manuals, HL for Hillman, HR for Humber, SL for Scammell, BC for BSA motorcycles, all these seem to follow through on to VAOS codes.

ML was for Morris Commercial, I think that Morris cars and light utilities came under MM for Morris Motors.

On Bedford books, the TS number is the companies own code for technical manuals, not just used for government vehicles, and they used PS for parts catalogues.

Edited by Richard Farrant
added "just" to last sentence