Taking a vehicle to France

Adrian Scott

Question

5 answers to this question

Dont forget the set of spare light bulbs, warning triangle, hi viz jacket in the driving compartment with you ( so you can put it on before you get out of the vehicle ) 2 spare tyres !!!!!!! as you are not allowed to travel with out one, so if you get a puncture and change it for the spare ( you then don't have a spare tyre ) you are then suppose to drive to a tyre garage and get the punctured tyre fixed before continuing on your journey.

A friend of mine has had this happen to him at the ferry port on the homeward journey, he got a routine customs stop, when the customs official asked to look in the back of his camper he saw the punctured tyre and called the police over who fined him for not having a spare tyre, had to give name and all details this then flagged up several parking offenses too.

France, Belgium and Germany exempt, if you Google military vehicle ogel exemptions you will find the info you need. I'm sure there is a thread on here somewhere about it but can't seem to find it.

Looks like I'm going to have to stock up on spare wheels for 2014 then, could be pricey for a stack of split rims :D

Don

Edited by Spood
Brain fade

hi, in response to the breatherlyser kits in france, the law now will come into effect in march 2013, it is highly assumed that this law will not take place, typical of france. these kits were made by a friend of the last president mr sarkozy who it is rumoured to have 60 million euros from this farce, all the best tony g.