What and Whose???

ArtistsRifles

No one manage to spot the oddity in that photo????

Something is there which should not and would likely never be where it is - how that for a clue??

Neil,

Do you mean the SAS badge below the headlamps?

The strut fixed to the flotation collar mounting and the fixture on the front glassis plate is vaguelly familiar. I will go for a FV439, now there is a link with SAS here. Back in the Eighties, I had to go out to a 439 with engine problems, and which was being used as the prototype for Ptarmigan installation. This vehicle had been recently rebuilt to be NBC proof, the engine covers inside were different with better sealing arrangement. We were told it was to be a SAS communications vehicle. I have a feeling the equipment on the front is to support a mast, note the camera on the strut.

Richard

As a clue - the markings shown are newer...

Neil,

Although that badge looks similar to SAS, the style is more US forces although something in the back of my mind says that it has been seen before on a private owned vehicle and is something made up. Also the inter vehicle lead and track support bar on the front looks a little to tidy for an in-service vehicle.

Richard

Well done, Richard, for spotting that it is, in fact, a made-up thing!! :-) :-)

A friend sent it though to me a few days ago and it took me a while to rumble what he'd done :-) :-)

The insignia is actually a valid one in it's own right and is a UK unit. Fairly modern though - well - lets be honest VERY modern in is founding date. Care to take one more guess at what it is???

Well done Jerry - it is indeed the Special Reconaissance Regiment badge.

Clive - the 432 is in private ownership nd I believe you are right as to the function.

I was sent the photo as an example of how modern photography is not that reliable - a good graphics package can make a digital image seem to be anything. We'd been discussing photo-recce data from WW2 as collected by troops on the ground and behind the lines compared to todays data.