my Bedford Ql which arrived today.

Billruston

Hi Bill,

I am now pretty certain your QL is a QLD Airportable Cargo model. Having found the booklet regarding dismantling for air freighting I can see that the rear of your chassis has not been cut off, it was made like that and the short end part with towing hook and spring on was removeable to shorten the length to get in the aircraft. Take a look at the two photos attached and you will see what I mean. My previous comment regarding chassis being split in the middle was incorrect, was thinking of another vehicle.

Guy's offer of a chassis extension is actually that for a QLT Troop Carrier type and not what you need as his part bolts too the part you have missing.

regards, Richard

QL airportable 001.jpg

QL airportable 002.jpg

Edited by Richard Farrant

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks rich for sharing the pics, so what do I need for guys exstention to bolt on?

And is it important to have the chassis exstention on? Regards

Bill.

Hi Bill,

To bring your chassis to full length of a standard version and to be able to have the normal tow hook on it you need the part that the men in the photo are lifting off, it is about 2 foot long from a rough estimate. This will bring you to the normal length and give support to the rear of the body, if you are going to source an original. The extension that Guy is offering you bolts on to the end of you missing length, to increase the chassis in order to fit the Troop Carrier body. It also has a spare wheel carrier under the extension as the Trooper body fits up against the cab back. Thinking about it, yours could have been a Trooper as it has side mounted tanks and therefore the body did go right forward. Try looking at some photos of various versions and you will see what I mean.

Richard

[ATTACH=CONFIG]70706[/ATTACH]

Bill,

This plate you showed, should be on the nearside of chassis below cab slightly back a bit. The Chassis number will be stamped into the chassis near this plate, it will start QLD or QLT or QLC then number. The third letter gives indication of the body it had. There may be a plate on top of the bracket that hold the steering column, under the steering wheel. I cannot read the third line on your photo of the plate, it might have the info, can you let me know what it says?

Richard

Body ........ try asking Pete Gaine, he often comes up with them.

Hello Richard and Bill, the best think for the moment is to know what Bill his QL chassis number really is.

And if we have a bit more information we can start to tray to find a solution for this problem!

It's up to you now Bill, send us some useful information that we can start to send you some right information, tray to find the chassis number on the place Richard and my have send you.

Start rubbing your chassis on the lift hand side just behind the suspension unit and have a look in front of the steering wheel.:shocked:

Guy

Hi thanks rich I emailed him about QL bodys last night and will ask what spares he's got when he emails back.

Hi guy how much do you want ffor it mate?

If I can find all the missing parts then once I have my. Shed up I can really crack on with it all and ill be honest I'm looking forward to it :).

Bill.

Hi these are the chassis brass plate readings.

Vehichle number- 00 YY 24

Chassis number- 33635

Contract number- 33401 '01 ' 3513

Class of repair- Base O/H- date 10/57 M.T.R.S no- B38/6

The next one says inspection but I cant read that hope that helps? If any of youse no what that all means?

Regards bill.

Hi these are the chassis brass plate readings.

Vehichle number- 00 YY 24

Chassis number- 33635

Contract number- 33401 '01 ' 3513

Class of repair- Base O/H- date 10/57 M.T.R.S no- B38/6

The next one says inspection but I cant read that hope that helps? If any of youse no what that all means?

Regards bill.

Hi Bill,

the chassis number tells me it was built in 1944. The postwar Army number, 00YY24 is not a lot of help, until I found reference to a QLT Troop Carrier with the number 00YY61, knowing how the numbering system worked I have a strong feeling yours is a QLT Trooper. This was the one with a chassis extension (extra to the part you are missing. The side tanks also indicate it could be a QLT. Proof will be if you can find the number stamped on the side of the chassis.

The contract number bears no reelvance to the original contract. Finally, Base O/H means Base Overhaul. MTRS number was the code for the workshop that did the work, not likley to have been an army base, more like a large garage or makers service depot who had a contract with the Ministry of Supply.

Hope this enlightens you!

Richard

Thanks rich! So it should have the Ql D T or whatever stamped on the chassis? What's the website were you can try and find out the history? Of these old lorrys I have the number plates. To (army ones)

Regards bill.

No website Bill, just numerous books and notes. I have owned one of these for 25 years so you pick up a lot on the way.

If you contact the Royal Logistic Corps Museum at Deepcut Surrey, with your YY number, they may have the Key Card with details of that number, what body it had, original wartime number and when and where it was sold off.