Newest Family Member 1986 Land Rover Defender 90 GS 74KF25

lssah2025

Well I picked this up from a gentleman in November, and then drove cross country 4000km and ended up in Romania, where she will sit until April, then I will drive back to the UK via a different route.

He purchased it from Withams last year, and he had some work done on it. Vehicle came out of Cyprus with an original 64K Km on the clock, chassis and bulkhead are great, no rust, rear cross member in great condition, no welding etc. I purchased it from him, what he paid from Witham's.

Work completed by him:

NewHD Battery 6th April 2011

Replaceheadlights and bowls 30th April 2011

PreMOT work 6th May 2011

Newfront seats 10th May 2011

NewFront Door Seals 1st June 2011

FitSteering Guard 20th July 2011

Replacementsteering lock and ignition switch 20th June 2011

Add2 rear seats and seatbelts 2nd July 2011

EngineOil Change 19th July 2011

Changewindscreen upper and lower seals 10th September 2011

ChangeAir Filter 6th November 2011

ChangeAnti-Freeze 25th November 2011

ReplaceSpeedo cable (One piece) 12th December 2011

ReplaceClutch master cylinder and fluid 14th December 2011

Paintrear tub Feb-12

Replacedoor hinge bolts with Stainless steel ones Mar-12

replacefront door locks and mechanism Jul-12

changefuel filter Jul-12

fitnew door locks and striker plates Jul-12

Work completed by me

Changed all fluids, added cubby box, radiator muff, Rad/Haz kit (lining) wolf rear seats.

New starter (Replaced in Holland) Nov-12

New rear seal Dec-12 (Replaced in Romania)

New Oil pangasket (sump)Dec-12 (Romania)

Currently scrounging PAS parts.

Will receive a new paint job in the spring, fitting of 5 wolf wheels and new tyres, wolf door cards and a few extra bits.

Pictures before the work was done (no cubby, wolf rear seats etc)

Roger 9.jpg

IMG_4363 thumbnail.jpg

Roger 7.jpg

Roger 11.jpeg

Roger 12.jpeg

Roger 14.jpeg

Roger 15.jpeg

Roger 16.jpeg

Roger 17.jpeg

Roger 18.jpeg

Roger 19.jpeg

Roger 20.jpg

Roger 21.jpg

Roger 1.jpg

Roger 2.jpg

Roger 3.jpg

Roger 4.jpg

Roger 13.jpeg

Edited by lssah2025

Tony, it was a lovely test drive, 20 days on the road, 11 countries, I got more looks in it than other cars on the road, especially out of the UK!! It definitely was fun to drive at 55 MPH or so on the highways, got to play in the mountains and in the mud in a couple of countries. Currently scoping out a 110 to add to the collection...

The 110 will be upgraded though to a 200/300 TDI and some other goodies, to make it my expedition vehicle. I want to keep the 90 as close to military config as possible (minus cubby and seats), might try and put some wolf front seats in it, but the Saab seats look pretty close.

Would you fancy 20 days over mixed terrain on the old Series 3 flat seats?:D With the 110 , go for a 200tdi ! We are in the process of doing this with Number One Son's 110. It was 2.5 NA petrol. The 200 tdi fits the bell housing, though a couple of studs at the bottom need reboring. The exhaust needs to be re-routed. We took the easy way and bought from Steve Parker a conversion, a beautiful job. Also change the transfer box to a 200 one. The power sterring fits in straight away. A 300 tdi needs the entire gearbox changing and the engine mount position. I can pass on more info as we go if you like.

Edited by Tony B

Luckily it had the updated seats in it when I got it, but would love to do a Safari in a Series!!! I have been looking at 110's with the R380 and LT77. Withams has some nice ones right now, this one will by LHD for the states, I will keep my RHD 90 for the states as close to MOD specs as feasible, will probably switch to wolf seats and maybe some wolf goodies (minus the engine).

If I get the R380 I will go for a 300TDI, if the LT77 I will do the 200TDI. Would love to get the info from you. I will have it installed prior to my next trip, I am thinking about another cross country excursion in the 110 sometime in 2013, I think heading south into Morroco. Then will ship back to US after that. The Tithonus 110's they have are in good shape, and would only need the 200TDI upgrade, PAS and a few other things and I think they are ready to go.

Edited by lssah2025

Read somewhere that a guy used pins to hold the seats in, just remove pins and lift seat out.

Going to look into it.

We did that on a S2a Station Wagon, we fitted seats from a truck in it when preparing for an Outback rally across Australia. This was solely to access the fuel tank fillers, bit of a chore, but made for a much more comfortable ride when you are doing hundreds of miles in a day.

The original Landy seats are still more comfortable than the Humber Scout ones!!

The HSC is 99% done now, just have to redo a radiator and fan shroud for the HSC, trying to track down an appropriate replacement, prefer original but still looking to possibly replicate one if need be...

The original Landy seats are still more comfortable than the Humber Scout ones!! The HSC is 99% done now, just have to redo a radiator and fan shroud for the HSC, trying to track down an appropriate replacement, prefer original but still looking to possibly replicate one if need be...

Yes, the fan shroud is very important on the Scouts due to the air being pushed through the rad, with out a shroud it does not get full airflow.

The gear box in Son's 110 is the LT77, that is the direct fit for the 200tdi engine. The engine is ex Discovery but as you see no problem on space. The radiator has to be changed to the Discovery one to acomadate oil cooler and the pipes for it need to be the Defender type, Disco ones to short.Also PAS box fitted, again no problem with space.

110disco 001.JPG

• 7 months later...

Ahh figured a few pics of some bits and bobs.. PAS put on, great for those narrow arse streets and tight parking in cities. She is going to get a new respray in Nato green, and will make another trip back west this fall, and then head across the pond to the USA.... several pics of the 13 country excursion too.

33.jpg

UK to Holland IMG_2179.jpg

Obersalzburg IMG_4093.jpg

Stavelot BelgiumIMG_2898.jpg

Road in Belgium "Ardennes" IMG_2888.jpg

1.jpg

32.jpg

Edited by lssah2025

• 9 months later...

Well did some more work on her, had a bad engine in Romania, head gasket, pistons and rings shot craps, was leaking oil like a *****, so had an XMOD one in a crate sent from the UK (0 miles) and had my Landy mechanic drop it in, with a new 0 MPH speedo, did a full respray,installed Wolf door cards and a few other things (halogen LHD lights) new vacuum pump fenders, PAS etc.

photo 3.JPG

IMG_7449.jpg

IMG_7450.jpg

IMG_7452.jpg

IMG_7453.jpg

IMG_7455.jpg

IMG_7457.jpg

IMG_7459.jpg

IMG_7463.jpg

IMG_7464.jpg

IMG_7467.jpg

IMG_7468.jpg