Jump to content

philm1

Members
  • Content Count

    192
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

10 Good

1 Follower

About philm1

  • Rank
    Lance Corporal

Personal Information

  • Location
    Wellington, New Zealand

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. Hi Richard, Reasonably straight forward to get the turret basket in and out. Always helps to have a 2nd pair of hands and the smaller person in the turret. The hollow pins I re made using a bit of hollow steel tube then a friend turned it down on his lathe to a press fit. Couldn't find the exact size off the shelf. Now looking for fittings that attach the turret to the basket and the bracket from top of commanders seat to turret if you know of any sources. Regards Phil
  2. Hi Terry, the center Scorp is ex NZ Army. The other was imported into NZ perhaps up to 10-15 years ago and rebuilt. I'll ask the owner if he knows any history on it. We thought we'd be different and keep with the Belgium identity. NZ Scorpions were originally a similar green before they went to the Merdec Cammo scheme. We did think of going UN white as well. Phil
  3. Crew heater was stripped down, rebuilt and installed.
  4. In October we attended 'Tank Weekend' run by a local military vehicle club. What made it special was 3 Scorpions in attendance before one of them went off to a new home in the South Island of NZ. The first time we really got to stretch her legs over a good shingle track with lots of corners and ups and downs. Performed well but I think it did suffer from fuel vapor lock later in the day when both the weather and vehicle were very hot.
  5. Over the past 9 months we have been to a few shows as well as continued to add more bits and pieces as they have become available. The turret rollers and basket were rebuilt and installed.
  6. I hope everyone out there is okay and this COVID thing isn't affecting you too much. It has been winter here so a chance just to potter along with small bits and pieces. A spotlight was found which I stripped down and rebuilt. Now installed and working. A clansman intercom system has been installed and working. Makes communication between the driver and turret so much easier. Some replica smoke dischargers have been added. the latest project will be the renovation and installation of a turret basket. I didn't think
  7. Thanks guys. I did try google plus some local electronic experts but no one could really help. In the end with some perseverance I have managed to get things to work. What I had was American crewman helmets that I wanted to re wire to clansman to use in our CVRT. there is an elaborate box on the helmet side where the press to talk is and the cable splits to 2 plug outlets All I really had to go on was this diagram and a replacement clansman cable. By checking continuity between pins in the connector and the colour wire at the
  8. Are there any wiring experts out there who know how the wiring from the connecting cord goes to clansman headsets and mic? What colors do what? I have some American helmets that I am hoping I can replace the cable on to a clansman cable. There seems to be a similar number of wires of similar colors. The American helmets are probably set up for PRC. Photo below is the box that goes on the side of the American helmet.
  9. Yes a good question and with the benefit of hindsight. I guess the key to anything like this is your budget, availability of parts and, resources to be able to undertake a restoration like this. If you want to drive a vehicle straight away then you need to budget for an up and running vehicle. If you want the enjoyment of a restoration then you want to get as much as you can in the way of spares from the outset. It would also be preferable to view what you are getting. Luckily we had reliable contacts in the UK to view the vehicle and the previous owner was also great to deal wi
  10. We were booked in for our first public outing on the 23rd Feb but another opportunity came along for an event the week before so it has been a busy time trying to get ready. Although not 100% it was enough to take to a Defence Force family open day at the local military base. Still needs some more dressing up but we are happy with where we have come from to where it is at now. In need of smoke discharger bases and tubes and turret basket if anything out there.
  11. 3 very busy days painting. A spell of extended hot weather was predicated so away we went. Today we had 2 guns going and lesson learned 'bigger is better'. We treated ourselves to a gun with a big bucket which meant less mixing and quicker application. Every thing back in the shed ready to be bolted back on.
  12. More pics of the installations. Even have indicators, tail and brake lights working. And the horn I spent so much time on. A couple of shake down items to sort. 2 small water leaks which replacement hose clamps have sorted. Ignition light is not going out so charging syestem not coming online. I will check the earths and wiring from the distrbution box to generator box. The generator was rebuilt so I wonder if there is a way of testing that next to see if it is actually doing what it should? Now plan is to get everything taped up so we can get a few good days in of painti
  13. Xmas break goals were to get vehicle moving under its own power for the first time in many years and also ready for painting. Goals achieved with start up and running on New Year's day, 3.5 years from the start of the rebuild. No major issues. Did find the gearbox took more oil than what the specs said but i guess it was from bone dry and a certain amount stays in the system. We are not using the fuel bladder but rather an outboard boat fuel tank so we know we will always have fresh fuel. Idle needed to be adjusted as it was running too fast. No oil leaks, so all good. Once we had the
×
×
  • Create New...