Another petition for signing - Keep the Red Arrows

ArtistsRifles

Hi Jack,

IMO it does matter,if the Reds go what next,the BBMF? Hendon(which is already under-funded as it is)? The Reds are the flagship of the RAF.

The truth is this country can waste millions on "art projects" and such,but when it comes to our history it gets little attention,it's mainly down to private individuals to preserve it.

Just my thoughts.

Matt.

I'm not a big fan of the Arrows myself, but they are a great symbol of the RAF and "great BRITAIN". They draw huge crowds to airshows all over the UK ( and the world ) and loosing them could also mean big gate losses at shows, possibly leading to fewer airshows, which in turn could mean less money for other vintage aircraft operators. I agree that cutting the 'Arrows' could be the start of further cuts, and all this while money is wasted on other projects. Since it is only large amounts of cash which keeps vintage aircraft in the air, many could end up being sold abroad or grounded.

The new Cold War Hangar at Cosford springs to mind as an 'Arty' project that has swallowed up a huge amount of money. While it is great to see the aircraft under cover, the building itself cost a fortune and isn't practical to display the aircraft to their best. Because the aircraft are 'built in' to the odd shape of the building, in the event of a fire, it would be impractical to remove any aircraft. I'm sure a normal design hangar with overhead walkways would have giver better views and a safer environment for the planes.

Keep the 'Reds' and save at least one symbol of pride for a once great nation.

Steve

Well said Steve. The Cold war hangar at Cosford is exactly the sort of thing I had in mind as an example of un-necessary money wasting. Personally I'd rather see the aircraft in something which at least resembles a cold war era hanger.

IWM North is,IMO,in the same category.

Matt.

Do you really think the money saved would go to a good cause? What's happened to the £50mil a year that was being paid to the USA for WW2 debt?

Does it cost much to operate them????

From the 'Reds' website.....

"How much does the Team cost to operate?

There is no meaningful answer to this question. The RAF already has the pilots and aircraft so they really cost nothing. The only real saving that could be made by not having the Red Arrows would be the cost of the fuel they use but that is insignificant when set against the advantages accruing from the Team's appearances.

The additional costs of sending The Red Arrows on overseas tours such as the United Arab Emirates and Malaysia in the autumn of 1997 and 1999 and Canada in 2002 were entirely borne by British companies. The Ministry of Defence takes the view that British tax-payers should not bear the cost of these overseas tours. However it is happy for The Red Arrows to demonstrate the “Best of British” overseas when the companies that stand to benefit are willing to pay the bills."

Steve

Do you really think the money saved would go to a good cause? What's happened to the £50mil a year that was being paid to the USA for WW2 debt?

Steve

I do believe that it has been paid back correct me if I am wrong, what we do spend on the Red Arrows could be spent on the forces on better equipment, would it happen?? who knows, what happens to air shows?? someone takes their place.

Mark - you are correct in that the final payment of the war debt was recently made.

However the £50 million that was going to fund that payment seems to have vanished into the ether since then.

Call me bitter, cynical and twisted if you must - but it seems to me that the crooks running this country in the name of Gov't make the Mafia look like angels when it comes to funds vanishing/being misappropriated.

What happens at airshows - some, as you say, takes their place - probably our special friends the USA. Possibly the display is secondary to the actual point being made that the RAF pilots are the best. Period. Personally I like the flair of the display too.

If lose the Red arrows then for the first time we lose all public display of the extreme professionalism of our armed forces. Right now the RN is little better than a coastal defence force - or will be once either Brown or Blair can the new carriers faithfully promised to the Admiralty. Most of our equipment in the Army and RAF is old beyond its service life due to lack of investment - yet the morons in the hot seat still inist on acting as though we are an Imperial power.

I guess the summary really is that loss of the Red Arrows is the last nail in the coffin of the UK armed forces.