AFV Helmets

tyler

Hi, I am looking for some help and info on helmets that were worn in British armoured vehicles around the 1970s. As there seems to be very little info out there.

I have found several types but not sure which ones (if any) are the correct ones I need, Its for use in my 1972 Shorland, I also want to use a intercomm headset with it,(I am thinking Clansman ANR system as I understand this cancels out wind noise etc)

KGrHqNnsFBYtDhFKBQZZ2veT5g60_12.jpg

scalp type

KGrHqQOKkYE5soU9QEBOjtR360_12.jpg

A1

T2eC16FHJGwE9nySdeiBQb-solVQ60_12.jpg

T2eC16ZysE9sy0i2JlBQiSq63RWQ60_12.jpg

Thanks.

Tyler

Until CVR(T) and the Clansman bonedome (per your first picture) that plugged into the hybrid Larkspur / Clansman harness to achieve a degree of Clansman function from a Larkspur harness, helmets were not worn. (I'll not say they had never been worn, but AFAIK in previous years any helmet worn, if any, would be the standard issue helmet.)

The first issue Clansman bonedome was not popular. There was a velcro-retained strap outside the helmet's ear protection which allowed the user to adjust the pressure of the earpieces on the ears. They did not work: after about ten minutes' wear the user's head felt like it was trapped in a vice and any excuse was found not to wear it.

Beret and Larkspur (subsequently Clansman SUH - or HIB if SUH not available) was the preferred headgear in the RAC until the helmet was replaced sometime after I left with another without earpieces that fitted over a headset (see subsequent pictures) coming into service. Besides, until the general adoption of Clansman at the end of the 70s, the bonedome was as common as rocking-horse droppings even within the recce regiments on CVR(T).

Any excuse was used to hand in a "broken" bonedome. As a Regimental (later Squadron) Signals NCO, I spent a lot of time soldering the press-to-fit connectors in place to correct reported problems to avoid the bonedome.

I never saw helmets worn in NI whilst working vehicle-mounted Larkspur radios. In fact I never wore a helmet in NI except whilst attending my NIRRT course on arrival in theatre.

Hi, Thanks for the info, its saved me buying the wrong one.

I will probably get the one in the fourth pic as my wife wants a helmet for when shes in the turret and prefers that one to the others (its also the cheapest which is rare for a woman), plus it should work with any/most intercom systems.

Dose anyone have any info on sizing guides for these, as don't want to buy one that's too small/big?

Thanks.

Hi, Thanks for the info, its saved me buying the wrong one.

Well don't buy any of those to use with your Shorland!

You need the Standard NI Anti-Riot Helmet with Visor (ART) Civilian Pattern. This basically looks like a matt green motorcyclist's helmet with pop studs & hinge points for visor. Sizing as per head circumference for a normal civilian helmet.

Hi Clive, thanks for the info.

I thought I would post these helmets i also found for sale whilst searching.

Racal Acoustics, tanker's helmet. Type 2901/HB/GB, Mark 2.

helmetwcom.jpg

bb1033__3.jpg

Thanks.

Ps credit to original picture uploaders etc