Newbie with a Diamond T 981

Hi every one. my name is cliff and i am a new subscriber to the forum with a Diamond T 980

upto now i have no idea on how to use it or what all the leavers and knobs are for, but im sure by using the forum someone out there will be able to answer any questions i have.

the truck is not home here until this coming saturday so until then i will not be able to give any chassis or engine numbers.

all i can tell you now it that dt.jpgit has been in a museum for the last 20 odd years and its mod reg number is 23 YZ 80

img010.jpg

Hi there, quick bit of info as I'm off out drinking!

This vehicle was in the museum of Army Transport for them 20 odd years, the man who would know all about it is the great northern one aka Wally Dugan.

i will try to find out more info in the morning!

Hi welcome in........ it will travel along slightly faster with the Rolls engine, but you will still not have to worry about speed cameras. Have fun, a lovely old truck, the gear box is a work of art with the 3 speed transfere case and four speed auxilary box.

Having spoken with the great northern one, he can confirm the front bumper was changed due to the vehicle being involved in an accident, signs of which can still be found by the amount of filler on the near side front wing, This was done while on active service.

The vehicle arrived at the Museum of Army Transport in 1980, he still has the 1033 for its transfer and the servicing details from its arrival until 2003.

Edited by FLUF

the truck has been purchaced from a persom who bought numerous vehicles from the transport musem.

the shildon museum of transport has now closed down and all stock sold due to the falling number of visitors

over the past years, yet the enterance fee was only £2 per person. the museum was also a registered charity.

this just goes to show how the ressesion has hit days out for thoes even on a tight budget

thanks cliff goldsmith

Hi Cliff

welcome and where do you hail from, North, East, South or West UK?

you mentioned that the Diamond T was moved in 2003,

was this the same Diamond T that was at the Beverley Museum of Army Transport

when it closed in 2003??

Cheers

Steve

MaccDT

Hi Cliff

welcome and where do you hail from, North, East, South or West UK?

you mentioned that the Diamond T was moved in 2003,

was this the same Diamond T that was at the Beverley Museum of Army Transport

when it closed in 2003??

Cheers

Steve

MaccDT

we've already confirmed its the one from Beverley if you read through the posts.

thanks for the info on the truck, but can i ask what a 1033 transfer is, and what is the difference between the two bumpers.

after 2003 the truck was then moved to the shildon museum of transport until about 5 or 6 weeks ago

any more information is most welcomed

thank you cliff goldsmith

Hello Cliff, well done you look like you have puchased an up together presentable T . ref the bumpers, the one you currently have on the vehicle is for a 980, a 981 bumper has a winch wire apature and roller fairlead head within on the drivers side of the cab to enable forward winching.

Edited by John Comber
spelling!

• 5 months later...
Hi every one. my name is cliff and i am a new subscriber to the forum with a Diamond T 980

upto now i have no idea on how to use it or what all the leavers and knobs are for, but im sure by using the forum someone out there will be able to answer any questions i have.

the truck is not home here until this coming saturday so until then i will not be able to give any chassis or engine numbers.

all i can tell you now it that [ATTACH=CONFIG]68772[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]68773[/ATTACH]it has been in a museum for the last 20 odd years and its mod reg number is 23 YZ 80

hi im new to the forum but i know a bit of history about 23 yz 80 as its the truck my dad drove when it was in service with 240 squadron royal corps of transport barnet i know he would be happy to pass on any info you need about it , but he is not very good with computers hence why he has asked me to post for him