Bedford RL owner

andycus

G'day,

Just joined Forum, I am a Brit now living Down Under and have a Bedford RL, hoping to learm more about working on the truck !

Cheers

Andy

hi Andy,

Welcome to the forum. Which part of Down Under are you living at? I used to work on the RL's for the army here, and rebuilt countless engines for them. Good old truck.

regards, Richard

Hi Richard,

Thanks, I live just north of Brisbane on the East Coast, mine is the 300 Petrol engine model, 1968, the Aussie Army didnt have them, the NZ Army did, mine came from the Uk, possible from the Army and out here they were used as off road survey vehicles or on the Rocket range, later a lot of them served in the Rural Fire Brigades, I am working thru the brakes at the moment, they work but pedal is stiff as the pipes from the vacuum tank have been disconnected and havent worked out why yet

Cheers

Hi Richard,

Thanks, I live just north of Brisbane on the East Coast, mine is the 300 Petrol engine model, 1968, the Aussie Army didnt have them, the NZ Army did, mine came from the Uk, possible from the Army and out here they were used as off road survey vehicles or on the Rocket range, later a lot of them served in the Rural Fire Brigades, I am working thru the brakes at the moment, they work but pedal is stiff as the pipes from the vacuum tank have been disconnected and havent worked out why yet

Cheers

Hi Andy,

I know a few military vehicle owners up that way.

If it is a 1968 model, then it should be air over hydraulic brakes. Earlier models were vacuum servo assisted hydraulics. If you have any problems, give me a shout.

Richard

Hi Richard,

I am a member of the Military Jeep Club of Qld so we may have mutual friends.

Its a 1968 and I think it is Air over Hydraulics as there is a tank/cylinder mounted on the passenger chassis rail with i assume a feed from the engine as the pipe vanishes under the cab 9sorry, cant get to her at the moment to confirm where it ends) and the other goes across to the master cyl but for some reason the pipe has been taken off the master cyl so not sure if there is a problem in the air tank or elsewhere, I assumed as this was disconnected it was causing the stiffness in the Brake pedal, I had considered replacing this setup with a modern brake booster but was not sure if I could if it was air assisted ?

The tank looks like a cooking oil tin with the input and outpup pipe plus an elec wire

Cheers

Andy

Hi Richard,

I am a member of the Military Jeep Club of Qld so we may have mutual friends.

Its a 1968 and I think it is Air over Hydraulics as there is a tank/cylinder mounted on the passenger chassis rail with i assume a feed from the engine as the pipe vanishes under the cab 9sorry, cant get to her at the moment to confirm where it ends) and the other goes across to the master cyl but for some reason the pipe has been taken off the master cyl so not sure if there is a problem in the air tank or elsewhere, I assumed as this was disconnected it was causing the stiffness in the Brake pedal, I had considered replacing this setup with a modern brake booster but was not sure if I could if it was air assisted ?

The tank looks like a cooking oil tin with the input and outpup pipe plus an elec wire

Cheers

Andy

Hi Andy,

You will know Barefoot Charlie then!

Your RL should have an air compressor mounted under passenger side of the cab, belt driven off the engine. You need to start from there. Not worth trying to make it work with vacuum as you will need a different booster/servo to do that.

Regards, Richard

Hi Richard,

Yes, Charlie woz a previous club president, I will be seeing him this weekend at Canungra, he has imported an Reynold Boughton RB44 and is as happy as Larry !

I will clear some space so I can get in and look tomorrow, I wondered if there was any bits missing or issues if it was easier to replace with something modern but will trace it thru tomorrow and let you know.

Thanks for your help !

Will do !

I followed the pipe thru, the tank is mounted on the chassis rail behind the cab and the pipe goes up onto the inlet manifold so I am guessing mine is vacuum assisted as opposed to air ?

Hi Andy,

That is unusual for a late model RL to still be on vacuum brakes. Wonder if it has been converted. Could you send a photo of the master cylinder and surrounding parts?

regards, Richard

Pics sent Richard.

Had a look on the model plate and it says 'RLHD'

I bought it as a 1968 model but maybe thats when it was first registered in Australia and was manufactured earlier, heres the info off all the plates in the Cab -

Passenger seat base plate says 'Model ID RLH 03 37703' and also says 'Positive Earth' (still on dynamo though I thought when I got her the battery was connected as Negative earth, the ign light stays on when running but goes off when lights turned on ?!)

Plates in Drivers footwell says 'RLHD', and 'Body 6511D - 1764' 'Trim 960 tan/imp' 'paint 685 4705'

, Interestingly where it says Ton it is stamped '9 ton' instead of the earlier 7 ton or later 8 ton, maybe when it arrived they thought it could take more ?!

Where is the Chassis and Engine numbers usually stamped so I can check them ?

Edited by andycus
extra info

Pics sent Richard. Had a look on the model plate and it says 'RLHD' I bought it as a 1968 model but maybe thats when it was first registered in Australia and was manufactured earlier, heres the info off all the plates in the Cab - Passenger seat base plate says 'Model ID RLH 03 37703' and also says 'Positive Earth' (still on dynamo though I thought when I got her the battery was connected as Negative earth, the ign light stays on when running but goes off when lights turned on ?!) Plates in Drivers footwell says 'RLHD', and 'Body 6511D - 1764' 'Trim 960 tan/imp' 'paint 685 4705' , Interestingly where it says Ton it is stamped '9 ton' instead of the earlier 7 ton or later 8 ton, maybe when it arrived they thought it could take more ?! Where is the Chassis and Engine numbers usually stamped so I can check them ?

Andy,

A quick reply, the H of RLHD would indicate a civilian model and possibly a special build. As you mention 9 tons, does it have 900-20 tyres and twin rear wheels? Positive earth would be correct. Engine number is stamped on the flange where sump bolts up, forget which side. Some pics of complete truck would help.

Richard

Hi Richard,

the ton stamp is a bit 'scruffy' and it may be that they stamped 8 over 7 as it looks like a number has been stamped over the other but does look like 9 ?!

She came on 1100 x 20's but the spare is a 900 x 16 but it is a blitz rim and I think the previous owner used the 16s originally as they had good tread ..... till he found the road speed with these small ones on ! i dont think it was twin wheel originally but who knows, she is on 1100s at moment but as they are scare out here I will be swapping to 1200 x 20s soon.

Will check engine number and get crawler underneath and see if there is a chassis plate anywhere, it was common over here though just to put the model number on the chassis plate as per the one on the passenger seat base.

Windows are pull down as opposed to winders but dont know if they all had that ?

Hi Richard,

the ton stamp is a bit 'scruffy' and it may be that they stamped 8 over 7 as it looks like a number has been stamped over the other but does look like 9 ?!

Windows are pull down as opposed to winders but dont know if they all had that ?

hi Andy,

Saw the Holden plate and it showed the Gross Weight, so 8 or 9 tons would be about right.

Windows were pull up- push down.