Reproduction RAF Battledress Blouse

chevpol

ok folks,

does anybody know of anybody doing repro RAF battledress blouse? (or "suits aircrew" or wartime service dress?) I know What Price Glory in the states do "Suits Aircrew",but is there anybody else?

Has anybody had any dealings with WPG at all?

Mark

Mark,

Try Steve Kiddle at Pegasus Militaria. A bit of a wait sometimes but worth it as he is the only one doing BD accurately and he will make to measure for those who are calorifically challenged!!

Another thing to watch out for is the 'Air France' look where the repros don't get the colour quite right. Kiddle is good on colour too.

Re WPG, customer service is pretty good usually, but the quality of the kit can be a bit variable. A lot of it is made in Pakistan and now and again some of it is pretty poor quality.

I believe there is an RAF reenactment forum out there somewhere might be an idea to ask on there as I'm out of my comfort zone with blue kit!

Regards

Paul

ps link to reenactment forum http://www.network54.com/Forum/180748/

Edited by 43rdrecce
fuppin iphones and stupid auto correct

Just for info', "War Service Dress" and "Suits Aircrew" are essentially the same thing, although in typical RAF fashion are labelled differently...........the blue-grey battledress was originally intended for Aircrew but usage spread amongst other trades and by 1943 the universal War Service Dress (RAF BD) was pretty much standard issue working and flying dress.......

Years ago now, I had a pile of NOS RAF BD trousers of both varieties, and the only difference apart from the labels was the ones marked "Aircrew" had metal buttons fitted and the War Service variety black plastic.........

The BD blouse in both varieties did not appear to change between 1942 and 45, being of the concealed button "37" type throughout - no utility version seems to have been manufactured.......and all RAF versions featured box-pleated breast pockets with 3-point flaps.......

However, the pre-43 pattern of Aircrew BD trousers were slightly different (manufactured 41 to 43), having belt loops, ankle adjustment tabs and a small flapped field-dressing/fob pocket on the left-front.........the examples of both varieties made from 1943 onwards were simplified and identical, lacking belt loops and having a standard army-type box-pleated field dressing pocket fitted.......

Beware wartime Royal Observer Corps BD blouses....these look the same as the standard wartime BD but feature exposed buttons in austerity style on the front opening and pocket flaps......:D

And...if you find any wartime khaki BD labelled "Heavy Duty Dress", it's RAF issue khaki battledress.....!

Edited by wdbikemad

Just for info', "War Service Dress" and "Suits Aircrew" are essentially the same thing, although in typical RAF fashion are labelled differently...........the blue-grey battledress was originally intended for Aircrew but usage spread amongst other trades and by 1943 the universal War Service Dress (RAF BD) was pretty much standard issue working and flying dress.......

Years ago now, I had a pile of NOS RAF BD trousers of both varieties, and the only difference apart from the labels was the ones marked "Aircrew" had metal buttons fitted and the War Service variety black plastic.........

The BD blouse in both varieties did not appear to change between 1942 and 45, being of the concealed button "37" type throughout - no utility version seems to have been manufactured.......and all RAF versions featured box-pleated breast pockets with 3-point flaps.......

However, the pre-43 pattern of Aircrew BD trousers were slightly different (manufactured 41 to 43), having belt loops, ankle adjustment tabs and a small flapped field-dressing/fob pocket on the left-front.........the examples of both varieties made from 1943 onwards were simplified and identical, lacking belt loops and having a standard army-type box-pleated field dressing pocket fitted.......

Beware wartime Royal Observer Corps BD blouses....these look the same as the standard wartime BD but feature exposed buttons in austerity style on the front opening and pocket flaps......:D

And...if you find any wartime khaki BD labelled "Heavy Duty Dress", it's RAF issue khaki battledress.....!

thanks for that, if I found a ROC blouse, I would be over the moon

Incidently, there was a RAF Regt W/O bd blouse (HD) sold on ebay yesterday, £156.99 plus p&p!!

TTFN

Mark

The other route of course would be to make a RAF BD suit....! We made my own 37 pattern BD for wear with the bikes at shows, etc, and it wasn't too difficult..........we had a large remnant of original wartime khaki serge, plus the correct drill lining, brass buttons and waist buckle........we used photos and took a post war 49 pattern blouse and trousers apart for the main pattern, modifying it accordingly to wartime style and to fit me........with the latter, I had given up trying to find a wartime BD in the largest size made (my size) in an 18 and was loathe to pay nearly £200 for a repro that would still require further work to look totally correct........I wore it to Goodwood this year and it was perfect.........mind you, it helps having a talented seamstress wife !!! We have loads of original wartime BD buttons in brass and plastic fibre, including the revolving shank type and toothed waistband buckles in quantity if anyone needs any......

The same would apply for RAF BD, but you would need to source the material and the lining/reinforcing fabric.....basically blue-grey woolen serge and dark blue cotton drill..........for the former, try Abimelech Hainsworth in the UK.....they do a good copy of RAF serge by the metre.......:D