Gipsy

fesm_ndt

Good question! Following trials at FVRDE some 20 examples, five LWB and 15 SWB's, were ordered for troop trials by the MOD. These were heavily modifed from the normal Gipsy, with a longer chassis, an extra fuel tank and other smaller items such as military lights and a NATO hitch and socket being added.

Little is known of what trials they underwent, although one LWB was dropped onto the dockside at Swansea Docks when being loaded, smashing the rear axle in the process. No one really knows what happened to the other 19, although it's believed they went to North Africa at some point.

An exact number of how many are left to this day is hard to say, although it is believed that just one LWB and seven SWB's still exist, although only one of each version are in their original condition.

An interesting find anyway and another which I can add to my Gipsy spotted list :-D

The entry in the Chertsey book that Tony has just posted relates to a regular exhibition that was held at the FVRDE /MVEE establishment since the early Fifties. These events were to showcase to buyers from around the world, military vehicles built in Britain and available for export (subject to export limitations no doubt!). I wrote several illustrated articles on these events for Vintage Roadscene magazine last year and I recall there were photos of Gypsys being demonstrated on and off road. It is quite possible that Malaysia and other countries, might have bought some Gypsys for their military, even if we did not go any further than trialling them.

Malaysia became independent on 31 August 1957

So the plot thickens, i.e. is it an ex mod trial vehicle or a gift to the new goverment.............. If I had time I would try to get some details.

May try the historical group and see if anyone lives nearby