WOT2H Extra Spark Plug?

Lauren Child

Question

I turned my attention to the WOT2 today, and for the first time noticed an extra spark plug just below the carb.

It's not connected to anything and was covered in grime to match the rest of the engine bay, so it didn't stand out. It's not in the copy of the parts list that I have. What's it for?

I'm guessing it's an aid to starting. Would this have been for cold climates?

wot2 extra spark plug.jpg

7 answers to this question

You have the wrong inlet manifold for a W0T2 and the spark plug is just filling a hole for a vacuum pipe that isn't needed. I think I have a spare inlet manifold somewhere - I will have a look.

A WOT2 carried a spare spark plug in the tool kit.

Thanks Robert - I may take you up on that manifold. If no other info is forthcoming I'll swap it out and see if I can find any part numbers that would help identify why it's there (possibly, as Adrian says, a quick fix). If it's another period item I'll put it back on as a bit of the vehicle's history.

The rest of the engine looks the right vintage for the truck (77E heads) but the fuel pump looks like a later one (no priming lever underneath) so the upper part may have seen some re-work, particularly as you say around the fuel pipe. I need to give the tank selector valve a bit of a clean out as well (it's a bit stiff) so I'll do both at the same time.

Edited by Lauren Child