bomb disposal wheelbarrow carrier?

retriever

Just bought this anybody know what it is and any information would be greatfully received.

It did have remote control but this has been removed, it has a twin cylinder diesel Kubota and hydraulic drive. The rear body drops off and back on again with electric winch. The front suspension is very like vw beetle with torsion bars, no suspension on rear. Handbrake is hydraulic with discs and callipers on front, no brakes on rear because when you release the drive pedal it stops instantly. Hand throttle . electric start. Should have 3 speeds but only low working at moment.

Never seen another, don't know who made it but was built in 1992

Edited by retriever
spelling

Does the deck slide completely off or does it move back only to the end of the chassis?

Being remote control it would indicate it traveled to bomb site, and I wonder if it carried sand bags, loose sand or similar to surround a bomb for controlled detonation.

It's something I haven't had any practice with.. bomb disposal.

Doug

If memory serves me right they were built by glover Webb for EOD duties in Ireland.

this one is the wheelbarrow transporter there is another variant with the Sankey RAF style workshop body fitted which carried jamming equipment,have a photo somewhere of one "in country on ops"

They were helicptered in to bandit country and I believe they replaced the bodyless Land Rover Lightweight used previously by the RAOC/RLC

Hope this helps

PS there is an article in Military Machines International but not sure of date as dont have my collection at hand but will find out,

Cheers Dave

If memory serves me right they were built by glover Webb for EOD duties in Ireland.

this one is the wheelbarrow transporter there is another variant with the Sankey RAF style workshop body fitted which carried jamming equipment,have a photo somewhere of one "in country on ops"

They were helicptered in to bandit country and I believe they replaced the bodyless Land Rover Lightweight used previously by the RAOC/RLC

Hope this helps

PS there is an article in Military Machines International but not sure of date as dont have my collection at hand but will find out,

Cheers Dave

Thanks that gives me another avenue to explore on the net,

Hi again

If you want photos of the lightweight landrover carrier, the lightweight book by mark Cook has some excellent IWM sourced photos, previously the Steyr Puch haflinger was used,

I will see if I can find my in service photo and email it to you if you would like it.

Regards dave

• 1 month later...

Found out a bit more. Its offical name is BLACKBOARD. Used in N.I. was remote controlled from backpack by fibre optic cable, this was not very reliable when fibre optic was damaged the vehicle went off on its own,not a good idea. 2 speeds forward 1 reverse. No info on internet that I can find, but still searching

Edited by retriever

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
These units were built by Glover Webb back in the 90's.

I’m pretty sure they were procured by the Army so that the Wheel barrow and associated equipment could be helicopter transportable but still be mobile once deployed.

It's a BLACKBOARD, hydraulic powered. Made from the same tube as the McLaren F1 road car.

Blackboard.jpg

FO controlled to if needs be,

77.jpg

Edited by Lumpy
wrong pic :-)

Found out a bit more. Its offical name is BLACKBOARD. Used in N.I. was remote controlled from backpack by fibre optic cable, this was not very reliable when fibre optic was damaged the vehicle went off on its own,not a good idea. 2 speeds forward 1 reverse. No info on internet that I can find, but still searching

mountney steering wheel and damn uncomfortable to drive manually.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 6 years later...