Foden IMMLC DROPS modification,,,,

Hi all i am a little worried with my truck so i am thinking of a mod,, I have a friend who works at spicer gearboxes in Wolverhampton,, I intend to give him my transfer box to change the gearing of the truck,, at the mo it does 44mph(70kmph) at 2200rpm,, = 4mpg..

The idea is to overdrive the transfer to about 1.25 so it should gain 11mph giving a max of 55mph.. at 2200rpm and hopefully near 5mpg..

The main reason is it can not be good for the engine to be at high rpm all the time so i will drive at 45mph as this is the max rated speed of the tyres. And should be down to 1800rpm still in lots of power and torque. They could have done this when built but they knew squadies would drive them and flatout,,,,, LOL

What do you think??

398621_2970816803187_1644767458_2543560_1413184319_n.jpg

All the initial trials vehicles had Allison boxes and taller gearing. The user trials vehicles had ZFs; they used less fuel, were quicker from the lights and better cross country and were much more reliable...

Top speed was never a factor, after all TMs could easily outspeed their tyres (and their brakes).

What was important was the whole package and the entire development of DROPS was an object lesson in finding the right balance - "improving" one thing normally meant cocking up another.

So my advice is that the folks at Tolpit Lane and Sandbach knew what they were doing......

Could do with a slightly taller gear on my 4 ton daf seems to be flat out out 53 would be nice to cruise at that speed. Less wear and tear better on fuel and all that.

The stickers in the cab on mine say 40mph max on motorways. also 56mph is the maximum allowable speed any how.

travelling at 45 seems the best for mine as noise ok wheel wobble controllable fuel not too bad.

after three hours my bum aches and I feel my teeth loosening time to stop.

Speed limit for LGVs in the UK is still 60mph.

Only on a motorway though

50mph Dual Carriageway

40mph single carriageway

Unless a lower speed limit is in place

Strangely though if we take the A1(2 lanes), speed limit 50mph A1M (2 lanes Doncaster bypass as an example) speed limit 60mph

Strange thing the law!!!

However there is an argument that LGV's are limited (by law) to 56mph then if they exceed this then they are contravening C&U regs (no one though has to my knowledge ever been prosecuted though)

Strange thing the law!!!