Oil questions Dodge engine

My Command car has a different make engine, same design, maybe a post war copy of the T214. Maybe for the MOWAG?

I have some dumb questions

-Oil change; 20W50 to replace the 15W40 which is in it now? It was reconditioned some 5-7 years ago. All run in now.

-Is the capacity 5 liter, I think so.

-How high should the oil level be on the dipstick? All the way up to FULL?

-Do I NEED to warm the engine before draining or is ambient temp OK?

-I removed the oilfilter and will drain the oilfilter housing , any other places to drain the oil?

Anything else to look out for? All info wellcome.

If the engine is happy on 15w/40 and is not burning oil, I'd leave it on that. 5 liter, with change of oil filter dosen't sound enough for a biggish engine, a Dicovery takes about 7 with filter change. You'll be putting the oil in cold, so I'd go about 3mm below the full mark. Always easier to check and top up than drain excess out. I have been taught to run slightly under full anyway. Engine oil is far easier to drain when hot! Though Sod's law is whatever size container you put under the sump drain plug, the first bit will spill over the side. Keep the vehicle level when draining oil. Check sump plug, if it is magnetic for any metal shavings stuck to it. You can add Engine flush before the oil is changed, but if the engine is reconditioned and has been run in on good oil it shouldn't be nessacary. If your oil filter is the screw on type, oil the rubber seal before fitting AND DON'T OVERTIGHTEN!!!! About as tight as you can get with your hands, then possibly a quick flick with a filter wrench. Hope this helps. Keep empty containers to pour old oil back into, then you can take it to be recycled, about 90% of engine oil is recycled anyway, so worth making your contribution. When up to level you chosse, restart engine DON'T REV IT! Wait for oil prssure light or gauge to go out/ build to normal, stop engine wait a minute or so and check level again. That will allow filter to fill.

Edited by Tony B

If you are going to run a detergent oil in a bypass filter system, regular oil changes are the way to go. The full mark is there for a reason, there is no point in deliberately topping up to below that mark.

Yes but Definitly no point in going over either. That can cuse as many problems as under filling.

Strictly speaking you shouldn't start the engine until you have built up the oil pressure by flicking the starter switch a number of times and if the sump plug is fitted with a washer it should usually be replaced at each oil change. I think it would be a good idea to check the oil recommended by the manufacturer and go with that, modern detergent oils don't always go very well with old type engines, if they were built to run on monograde oils I believe it is better to use one of the classic oils which are freely available.