Introductions

Hi. My name is Tim Gosling, and my Father (Tony), brother (Steve) and I collect and restore WW1 army trucks. Can't remember exactly why we do it, but I think started it off when Steve bought the front half of a Thornycroft J Type which had been converted into a water pump up a Welsh mountain. The back half of the truck did not fit in the shed so the previous owner had cut it off and scrapped it. Steve later found another complete chassis and then quite recently an engine in New Zealand. The restoration is ready to begin with the diff being the only major missing part, however we have to finish our current project first.

Since acquiring the Thornycroft we bought 2 1917 Autocars (one ex WD the other civilian - but both now restored), a massive pile of mostly dismantled Peerless trucks (by my estimate the remains of 8 but with enough parts to restore 2), an EX US AEF 1918 FWD truck (now fully restored) and a Dennis restoration project (actually the remains of 7) which is now well under way. In addition, after the purchase of the first Autocar i went for something a bit "modern" and imported a 1944 Willys Jeep. This has been restored as a Chaplains Jeep and has "Chaplain" and two white crosses across the Windscreen, making it stand out a bit. Photographs of the Autocar and FWD feature in the November edition of MMI, but would be happy to send anybody photos if they are interested.

The Jeep is great fun and i really love it, but i find the WW1 trucks fascinating. I have always been a bit suprised by the complete apathy that some MV collectors have for WW1 stuff. One chap arrived at our house because he heard that we had some military vehicles that he could look at, but when he heard that they were not WW2 he got into his car and left without looking at them. Personal taste i suppose, but i would be interested in any military vehicle whatever the age or nationality. Any thoughts anybody?

Thanks for the intro Tim and it is good to have you especially with your knowledge of WW1 MV's.

You are right with fact that some people just don't get it when it comes to MV's. Some folks I know do not accept that Land Rovers are MV's :oops: :shock:

If you have any pictures then please do get them up here!! and please do make yourself at home but remember to wash your mug up when you have finished!

Any problems then please do let me know.

Cheers

Jack

Hi Tim , all you have to remember is to keep your feet off the furniture or you get busted. :lol:

Looks like we may have to have a Tims only section Jack, I'm doin well , had rank for a whole day now, it can't last!!! :D

Tim(1)

I have always been a bit suprised by the complete apathy that some MV collectors have for WW1 stuff.

Any thoughts anybody?

Hi Tim,

As a collector and restorer, I have admiration for you, taking on vehicles of that age and rarity, knowing that parts may take a lot of time and effort to trace and then may only be useful as a pattern. Documents for these trucks is no doubt difficult to find and from experience, I know that illustrations were lacking in them. Well done on what you are doing. I have seen yours at MVT shows in the past, Popham was one I think.

I have just been involved in an element of a restoration on a mid-1930's tank and with nothing to go on, the books were only of some help in trying to get it as authentic as possible. Very enjoyable challenge and also frustrating, but I have to say that now we are in the age of the internet, it has reduced the delay in obtaining photos and information from sources worldwide.

Richard

Yes, you are right. That was the first MVT show that we took the Autocar to. Due to the slow speed, high fuel consumption and difficulty in getting tyres we have to haul the trucks on a trailer as opposed to driving them to all but the local shows. The Autocar also went to Denmead and the FWD went to Detling a few years ago as well when we had some help with sponsorship. Both also went to a WW1 truck show at Basingstoke where there were 5 WW1 trucks but the trip was paid for by the museum (very good of them). Apart from our local show and London to Brighton & bournemouth to Bath commercial vehicle runs that is the only times they have been out.

All types of vehicle restorations have their own challenges whether it is size (Antar), weight (Sherman), awkwardness (Champ), however you hit the nail on the head with WW1 trucks. There are no spare parts available. You have to make everything or find someone who will make it for you. Luckily my brother Steve is a professional engineer who can do just about everything we need. We have been very fortunate with friends and contacts who have passed on parts, leads etc. Only a few weeks ago we acquired another WW1 Dennis truck chassis from underneath a demolished bungalow but which still had its differential. Just about everything else had been removed from it, but luckily the dif cover was rusted solid and they had been unable to get the bronze out. A fantastic find and just at the right time as were looking at getting one made.

The internet is as you say a marvellous tool and i have found so many manuals, photos and books which i would never have found otherwise. Still looking out for another Peerless engine though, you never know.

I will see if i can get some pictures posted. Will have to work out how to do it first though.

I have just been involved in an element of a restoration on a mid-1930's tank and with nothing to go on, the books were only of some help in trying to get it as authentic as possible. Very enjoyable challenge and also frustrating, but I have to say that now we are in the age of the internet, it has reduced the delay in obtaining photos and information from sources worldwide.

Richard

Sorry Richard. I forgot. That sounds interesting. Which tank was that, the Vickers?

Tim

Richard

Sorry Richard. I forgot. That sounds interesting. Which tank was that, the Vickers?

Tim

What a wonderful job that Vickers is! Truly spendid. A shame that it will be leaving the country, but i guess without the foreign money the restoration would never have been completed to such a high standard. Anyway, in time it may come back to the UK again.

The restorations of the FWD, Autocar and some of the Dennis are available on the Devon MVT website:

http://www.g-j-anstee.demon.co.uk/

If you click on the box "about us" followed by "restoration thumbnail" you will see pictures of the restorations although the Dennis still has a way to go yet. It will give you an idea of the fun we get up to! Just heard today of the remains of two WW1 Thornycroft J type truck chassis that are looking for a new home. I hope to go and have a look soon as there maybe some bits worth having. Sadly it seems that all of the interesting bits are missing but they are worth taking a look at.

Tim (too).