Jump start 6 volt

redsandrew

I believe you can jump start a 6 volt battery with a 12 volt unit. I had huge problems with my GMC CCKW H1 as it would clear the battery out and needing a jump start every now and then. I should be ok as long as you don't leave the 12 volt and 6 volt units connected to each other once the 6 volt vehicle has started.

I suppose it's not healthy for a 6 volt battery to get jump started by 12 volts too often during its life cycle...

But if one's stranded somewhere with no other options...

Goran N

Really thanks a lot...I was warry for my 6V battery, it is low energy but new.

I wil test with 12V jump start and if I understood it is better to ask somebody to help me ;)

So? Try jumping 12 volt off 24! The old engine spun over on that one! :D A lot of modern 6 volt battery chargers don't seem to have the gumption to charge a big 6 volt lead acid battery. I have ended up seriesing two 6 volt and putting a 12 volt charger with an initial 8 amp charge. After fiftten minutes or so I can bring it back down to 2 amps. That's on a very low battery, Best way is to get the vehicle started and leave it ticking over for an hour or so, or go for a good long drive. Check the dynamo is charging though. A multi meter wont cope with the ampage.

Edited by Tony B

Chargers for 6v batteries are out there, but you typically want the type that have 4 modes, not just 3. The 4th mode is desulphanate

3 Modes: Bulk Charge, Absorption Mode, Float Mode

4 Mode: Bulk Charge, Absorption Mode, Float Mode, desulphanate

I have a good battery tender from sears that does 6/12V 3 4 mode and its kept my 12V working battery (for jumps/running a winch, jump starts) and 2 6V (one in my jeep, one as a spare) for 3+ years.

Spend nearly $50 for it.. but its worked great.

Accumate do a good 6v/12v charger, it doesn't have a desulphate mode though. Bought mine years ago for about £40, worth every penny.

Re. the jump start question, I was told that jumping a 6v with 12v can damage the condenser, don't know whether there's any truth in that.

Accumate do a good 6v/12v charger, it doesn't have a desulphate mode though. Bought mine years ago for about £40, worth every penny.

Re. the jump start question, I was told that jumping a 6v with 12v can damage the condenser, don't know whether there's any truth in that.

mine was ok , the AA guy did it when i broke down................

Abssaar do a big beastie of a charger that'll charge 6/12/24 volts, and give a 500 amp jump start (which seems reasonable for a 6 volt truck). Still no desulphate function, but that seems to be almost unobtainium on 6 volt chargers.