Sexton Driver's position photos

spanter

Hi I'm on the lookout for some images of the driver's position in a Sexton as a friend of mine is writing up his history and drove them in 1949 (as well as comet/cromwell and many others) and he could do with an image to put in his book. He's not selling the book but is trying to write down things while he remembers them just in case anyone may find it interesting. In the first draft he did I've learnt a hell of a lot about steam ploughing (he was routinely helping out on a steam ploughing engine at 8 years old) and so would like to know the next few stories to come out from his memories.

Hope someone can help him out.

Cheers

Steve.

Yep had a quick google but work filters are causing a few issues did find some interesting pictures of a south african example, that diagram is great though. If you wouldn't mind taking pictures of the armories example that would be fantastic, thankyou.

Some of the stories that Fred comes out with are amazing one of them I can remember at the moment is when he was driving for the Royal Horse artillery where he drove for sixteen hours in blackout conditions following the transmission light on the vehicle in front with a ten minute stop every two hours and when they got to the firing position he rested his eyelids and was treated to a boot in his back from the commander telling him to drive again, when he pointed out they hadn't been there five minutes, they pointed out the fifteen empty shell cases on the floor and he had never stirred while they had been fired off. He also tells a story of how to correctly feather the throttle of a Cromwell so that when it lands off a jump you get a smooth landing.:D

Cheers

Steve.

• 4 weeks later...