WW2 Humber Engine Colour

thedawnpatrol

THanks Guys

would look good in black i guess. although i do like the post war 'rebuilt engine' duck egg blue..............

cheers

Jules

Paint it duck egg blue Jules, if you do it black you won't be able to see where the oil is leaking from ;)

Les , anything to do with Humbers I have researched over the last few years (all of the pics are from yahoo/google search, so I really don't know who's vehicles they are, except for mine)... And since I found out that you have a few Humbers you are probably the goto guy, along with Clive..

Edited by lssah2025

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Jules

i have just joined the forum, and want to give some input into the engine colour discussion.

I bought a late 42 contract (S538) Humber box some years ago which needed the whole resto bit. It still has all the original bits and was overhauled in 1955 with a replacement engine painted that lovely duck egg blue. Unber the flaking paint the colour is dark green , same as the colour I have found everywhere whilst stripping the vehicle.The gear box, t/case and axles are the same green colour.

I bought the remains of an LRC mk3a with all running gear and its all painted black (still matching engine & chassis numbers) so I am assuming that armd vehicles have those components painted black and soft skins have green.

My dilemma is do I paint my engine in original colour or do I do the engine in duck egg blue (and theoretically have post war markings) Here in Australia nobody would probably know (or care!)

I'll try and attach a couple of shots for what it's worth. the engine's from the HU, the original eng no. was roughly ground off and a friend said it may have been from a 4x2 snipe! (just to muddy the waters) The generator's from the LRC.

regards

Andrew

100_7410.jpg

100_7405.jpg

100_7241 LRC generator.jpg

I bought a late 42 contract (S538) Humber box some years ago which needed the whole resto bit. It still has all the original bits and was overhauled in 1955 with a replacement engine painted that lovely duck egg blue. Unber the flaking paint the colour is dark green , same as the colour I have found everywhere whilst stripping the vehicle.The gear box, t/case and axles are the same green colour.

I bought the remains of an LRC mk3a with all running gear and its all painted black (still matching engine & chassis numbers) so I am assuming that armd vehicles have those components painted black and soft skins have green.

My dilemma is do I paint my engine in original colour or do I do the engine in duck egg blue (and theoretically have post war markings) Here in Australia nobody would probably know (or care!)

I'll try and attach a couple of shots for what it's worth. the engine's from the HU, the original eng no. was roughly ground off and a friend said it may have been from a 4x2 snipe! (just to muddy the waters) The generator's from the LRC.

regards

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

The engine rebuild plate you show, has the correct part number for a 4x4 Heavy Utility, it was a Rootes factory rebuild and the colour you describe as "duck egg blue" is officially Sky Blue and was introduced around 1950 for rebuilt engines (and some new ones) to replace another standard colour called Eau-de-nil, which had a greener tinge to it. I restored a Snipe staff car and it had a rebuild plate similar to yours on the engine, but a few years earlier, and had Humber on it, not Rootes (same company of course). This engine was painted a sort of grass green colour also on the inside of sump, timing cover and tappet covers, so a factory colour. Other Humber military vehicles I have worked on show black chassis, engine and gearbox from new.

Did you find the LRC in Australia ?

regards Richard

Hi Richard,

I am assuming the LRC came here when fairly new as the mechanical internals are still in really good condition. I purchased it from John Belfield about 15 years ago when he was just starting to sell stuff. He got it at a clearing sale of an MV collector in NSW who I have known for a long time. I saw this fellow after my purchase and he presented me with some paperwork dating back to 1972. Another previous owner had written to Chrysler for info on parts (assuming it to be a Heavy ute) .A reply came back from E.M. Lea-Major who also sent a drivers handbook which I also have. The upshot of this is that the LRC lost it's body probably long before as the chassis had remains attached to a rudimentary bonnet (shaped like a bedford MW) but with original dash with the contract plate still attached.

There were also vertical pipes at 2 corners for pushing objects presumably. Phew!

I wonder on occasion whether a repro hull would be worth the effort.

I want to contact The Tank Museum to ask whether they have any info (chassis & engine no.s 8461025, chassis contract no. S1993)

Full floating axle, big brakes etc. Photos are pre digital! As you can see it's been outdoors for a while.

regards

Andrew

LRC Mk3a at home before stripping down.jpg

LRC Mk3a chassis at Melbourne Tank Museum - 4.jpg

Andrew,

Good luck. There's a lot of work to make it look like this. Having said that, there are 2 other MKIIIAs (mine and the RAF Museum's). If I can be of any assistance please let me know.

Regards,

Les

Humber LRC MkIIIA_reduced.JPG

1943 Humber MKIIIA LRC

1943 Humber MkIV HAC

1943 Willys MB