Fantastic! BUT....

Jack

Loving the images coming out of A&E 2012. The way modern technology allows us to manipulate digital images is like a dream come true BUT in 50 years time will our decendents be able to tell the difference between them. Some images I have had a real job to tell if they are contemporary or 70+ years old.

Is it twisting history?

No more than Hollywood is doing.

Images have been faked for years just take the Cottingly Fairies and the Loch Ness Monster (Doctors picture).

I believe there is at least one faked picture on this forum.

However it is fine when taken in context but not when removed from the intended post. So that is history changed.

Back in the days of film you had a habit of writing on the back, but this is a bit harder to do on a digital file.

Digital files do include metadata which will give you some serious clues. Its like electronic hand writing.

Camara's do not just record the image they also record the date time and various other settings including the camera.

Editing a picture will record that as well.

You can even record your own info on there like location, keywords for searches and even copyright data. I suspect many people do not actually do this though and even less know you can.

Without this I suspect it will be down to detective work in the future looking for tiny clues. Is that a genuine WW2 mobile phone.

In some eyes we might be changing history but in another way we are creating history as well as preventing it being forgotten.

Mike

This is an old chestnut... I don't have a problem with making modern snaps look old. Some of them work really well, as seen with A&E pics on here. I am not particularly good at it, despite years of snapping and doing imaging work on all types of film.

I am much happier recording things as seen. I did consider setting my cameras to shoot all of A&E in mono - but it loses something. I guess it's a case of carry on as you were. I know some snappers get very unhappy when people wear modern clothes when riding in WW2 vehicles. Keith Nisbet did his best to minimise this at A&E and we all entered into the spirit. I looked like a muppet....but no worse than Jack.

It's the old problem Jack Cameras do not lie, of course they don't , but people who use them do! Though the Flag raising at Iwo Jima, and the Spanish soldier being shot on the trench, not to mention quite a few portions of the 'Battle of the Somme' come to mind. Any number of 'Iconic' photos have turned out to be staged. Though the old chestnut about what were the first words the first photographer spoke ? comes to mind 'Right luv, get your kit off!':-D I used to take photos for use as evidence in courts. Even the angle you hold a camera of the position you take the photo from can lead the viewer to totally diffrent conclusions.

Edited by Tony B

This is an old chestnut... I don't have a problem with making modern snaps look old. Some of them work really well, as seen with A&E pics on here. I am not particularly good at it, despite years of snapping and doing imaging work on all types of film.

I am much happier recording things as seen. I did consider setting my cameras to shoot all of A&E in mono - but it loses something. I guess it's a case of carry on as you were. I know some snappers get very unhappy when people wear modern clothes when riding in WW2 vehicles. Keith Nisbet did his best to minimise this at A&E and we all entered into the spirit. I looked like a muppet....but no worse than Jack.

Hi all,

for years i have been personally against uniforms...you looked great mark just wear it a few times and it will feel like a second skin as i have found out :thumbsup:

Ashley